Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was wondering if you would have any ideas of why I keep…

Customer Question
I was wondering if...

I was wondering if you would have any ideas of why I keep falling down. It started about 6-8 months ago, lasted about a month or so and than stopped. I kind of forgot about it until two weeks ago when it started up again

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I feel completely fine. No dizziness, no fever, etc. I don't have much of an appetite lately, but it comes and goes. I am on dialysis for the past year and 1/2 and do have low blood pressure. Now I'm sure you're going to say it's the low blood pressure. But why does it happen ONLY at home and not when I'm out shopping, etc.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

Like I first said it started approx. 2 years ago (before I started dialysis) on and off. It will stay with me for a month or so and then I won't fall for a couple of months, I'll forget about it and then I'll start to fall again. This time it's been about two weeks now. I've fallen every day for two weeks and there are days I've fallen two to three times a day. No other symptoms really.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've talked to all my doctors and they don't have a clue

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/21/2018
Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello Nanci... I understand your concern.

I need some more information please.

1. May I know your age please?

2. What the diagnosis of kidney disease for which you were started on dialysis?

3. Are you a diabetic and hypertensive?

4. What regular medications are you on currently?

5. Do you get injured while you fall down - I mean do you loose consciousness?

6. Is there any family or personal history of seizure disorder?

Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.

Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

I will be glad to be of assistance to you if you have any further questions in this health regard please

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Sorry it has taken me so long in returning a reply to your questions.
1) I just turned 63 years old
2) The diagnosis of my kidneys problems was that I was in Stage 5 Kidney Failure due to taking "Celebrex" a pain medication I had been taking for a foot injury I had sustained. I was on this medication for less than a year.
3) No I am NOT diabetic nor hypertensive. Funny thing is I have LOW blood pressure. It usually runs in the low 60's to low 80's.
4) Here is a list of my regular meds: Estrodial .05 mg; Vitamin C; Topiramate 200 mg; Sodium Bicarb 650 mg; Fosrenol 3,000 mg; Mifrftinr 15 mg.
5) Luckily I have not been hurt too bad on any of my falls, but I know my luck can't hold out for ever. I'm afraid that one of the times I am going to hit my head or break
one of my bones and I'm getting real concern.
6) No family history of any seizure disorders or the like.I hope you're still there to answer my question.Thanking you in advance.Nanci

HI...I here to help you.

After symptoms analysis and going through your history, I put forth these possibilities -

1. Complex Partial seizures - but you already on Topiramate and I do not know why they have started you on this.

2. TIA or Transient Ischemic Attacks of the brain - but unlikely without loss of consciousness.

3. Vertigo - but it should be with every movement and has reeling sensation, but does not result in falling down.

I am sorry that I could not arrive at any logical analysis as to why you tend to fall only at home.

I suggest you approach your physician there with the above differentials so that they can evaluate you in those terms and help you out.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800