Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I actually do have one more question. As you kinda alluded…

I actually do have one...
I actually do have one more question. As you kinda alluded to, HIV testing isn't necessary. I have got to stop panicking like this. Do you have any techniques I can use to clam myself. I already do CBT, exercise daily, and stay active. I've had multiple doctor tell me not to even worry about STD at all -- including HIV. The past doctors have said it's not necessary. My problem is the worrying to much.
3/21/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello again. Yes, I agree with you, anxiety and worry can be a significant health issue. I’m glad to hear that you have already been utilizing some techniques to help you relax and be calmer. Other things I’ve recommended to Kay patients in addition. To what you are already doing include hypnotherapy, meditation, massage therapy and biofeedback. Finally, medically speaking generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a very real, very treatable condition. Many people respond quite well to SSRI medications such as are used very successfully for depression.
I appreciate the repeat requests. Please do feel free to reach out to me again by request for any and all of your health related questions. Let me know if you need me to answer anything more regarding this matter.
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Thank you so much. I just download the Pacifica app for meditation. I will ask about SSRI when I see my primary physician. I forgot to ask in my first question, can I get a herpes test this early? The last time I was with her was March 9th (so 11 days going on 12) and the first time was February 26th. If I did the test tomorrow would the result be safe to trust?
You are very welcome. I’m glad you asked as I neglected to mention that it takes much longer for the body to produce the IgG antibody for the herpes test. The recommendation of herpes testing by blood is to wait for 12-16 weeks post exposure. The HIV test of taken tomorro will be accurate but NOT the herpes test.
Thank you! Let's assume the women I was with had herpes, with condom use and no active lesions what is the chance of transmission if I had sex with her on three occasions over two weeks?
Assuming she did not have an active outbreak when you were with her, the risk of her as a female giving you herpes as a male using a condom is low, about 1-2%. Of course, if in fact she’s negative, then it’s 0%.
Just to be clear. You concur with the other doctor's about not needing to be tested, however you recommended it just so I can be reassured in order to stop worrying? In other words, you (like the other doctors) believe I'm fine? And how early would herpes symptons start? I heard the lesions are painful blisters. Should I start a new question?
I’ll answer this last one, then if you need anything else, yes, please, I would appreciate if you started a new question.
Yes, I concur with all your other doctors, in truth, I believe you are fine and extremely unlikely to have contracted anything but do also believe that with your background of anxiety might be best served by reassuring yourself with negative test results.