Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have severe burning in the back of my neck and the sides…

Customer Question
I have severe burning...

I have severe burning in the back of my neck and the sides of my head. Constant burning, pain especially after eating or drinking anything-doesn’t matter what it is. Laying down aggravates it, pressure from pillows. Can’t find any relief. Nothing shows up on MRI’s or CT Scans. Unable to get relief with heat or cold compress. OTC meds don’t help. What could this be?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Allergic to sulfur, Cipro, Leviqin. Currently taking .25mg of Clonazepam

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a complete hysterectomy in 2011. Unable to take HRT due to Clots. Not currently on blood thinner. I’m 51, no history of headaches prior to this. Have tingling in my right thigh from time to time. But, the head pain, burning and pressure gets unbearable. Been to ER several times, two Neurologists and no one can find anything. Haven’t had any head trauma no injury or accidents. Have some tinnitus from time to time in my right ear.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/21/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 30 days ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

What part of the body did they do the MRI and CT scans of -- did they do the brain and the cervical spine?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
The brain and neck.

OK.

Have they considered "occipital neuralgia"?

http://www.aans.org/Patients/Neurosurgical-Conditions-and-Treatments/Occipital-Neuralgia

irritation of the nerves in the back of the head could cause the types of pain you are having.

Also, I would want to make sure the CT and MRI does not show any abnormality in the upper cervical spine, at the C1 and C2 levels, as issues at that location could also cause the pain you are having. (as well as making sure there is not a Chiari malformation)

Sometimes seeing a pain management specialist and having steroid injections performed can be very helpful with the pain, and so you may want to ask for a referral to see them.

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Is it possible to have trigeminal Neuralgia, Occipital Neuralgia and RSD/CPRS? All of them? I’ve been to pain management and they said they have never seen anyone with as much pain as me. It is truly unbearable.

I guess it is theoretically possible to have all three, although the chances of that happening are very, very low.

Trigeminal neurlagia, however, would cause pain in the face - the front of the face on one side, which doesn't seem to be part of your symptoms.

Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 28 days ago

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon