Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My sister and during her annual breast check-up, the Dr

Dear Dr, My sister and during...
Dear Dr,
My sister and during her annual breast check-up, the Dr informed her that there are unusual findings noted in her physical and radiology report. She is extremely concerned and worried that the diagnosis revealed that she has breast cancer as the Dr informed her that he suggest to operate to remove the entire breasts . I am attaching the report for your review and gudance. Please inform me waht is hapenining. She is 47 years old. She performed a surgery last year to remove a minor fatty lump, not cancer 18 months ago. Please give me your opinion on the attached report.
3/20/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

The radiology report suggests a benign finding - and suggests routine imaging followup.

Did your doctor disagree with the radiology report?

Thanks for your response. What is benign finding. She will meet him Thursday

Benign means not-cancer.

The fact that they placed this in the Category 2: Benign -- essentially means that the MRI shows no evidence that these look like cancer. Meaning essentially 0 percent chance that this is cancer.

They mention the lesions are smooth (cancers would be irregular), the lesions are bright on T2 imaging (cancer would look different), and has slow uptake (cancer would absorb the contrast quickly).

So, there are no characteristics that would be consistent with breast cancer.

If it was rated a category 4,5, or 6 -- this would require further diagnosis with surgical biopsy.

But a biopsy is never done with Category 1 or 2, because there is no concern for cancer.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
many Thanks what a relief . Best Regards

You're welcome.

Best of luck to you and your sister.