Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a dark spot on my toenail that has been there for…

I have a dark...

I have a dark spot on my toenail that has been there for months. My nail recently became so brittle that it literally just fell apart. The skin is dry and cracking around the toe. I’m now experiencing chest pains, shortness in breath, and have a dry deep cough. I’ve been told your nails can tell you a lot about your lungs and heart. Should I be concerned?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Do you notice any redness or scaling?

Slight scaling and redness at tip of toe but no pain.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been diagnosed with idiopathic peripheral neuropathy and chronic migraines with aura

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

How long have you been having chest pains and shortness in breath? Hours, days, months?

Days... I first noticed it when I was walking to my office from my car a couple of weeks ago. There was tightness like a heavy infant was laying on my chest and it was hard to breathe. I could barely catch my breath. Now I have a cough and I wake every morning with a pain in my chest.

OK, thanks for the answer.

I would urge you to discuss this with your primary care doctor or go to urgent care for evaluation.

You are describing possible angina -- chest pain with exertion, which could be a sign of an impending heart attack.

This has nothing to do with your toenail. (Some conditions like endocarditis can have signs which show up in the nails, but this has nothing to do with you.)

Please -- go to your doctor and get this evaluated, especially because this is a new symptom -- and sounds very concerning to me.

Best of luck.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Your doctor would evaluate you for issues with your heart, and order things like a chest xray (evaluate for pneumonia and other lung conditions) and EKG and bloodwork at a minimum.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon