Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How much does this cost? I've been having upper abdominal…

Customer Question
How much does this...

How much does this cost?

Doctor's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Doctor's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I've been having upper abdominal cramps with heartburn and dark colored urine for about 3-4 days

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Upper abdominal cramps, heartburn, dark colored urine, headache, gas

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Maybe very mild nausea but the headache started last night and continued to today. It may be unrelated though

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that i can think of.

Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Medical
3/20/2018
Doctor: Doctor Jennifer, Doctor replied 30 days ago
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer and I'm a surgery fellow. I'm concerned you might have a problem with your liver or gallbladder. Can I ask you a few more questions to clarify the situation for me?

How old are you?

What medical problems do you have and medications do you take?

Does food make the pain better or worse?

Is it more right sided, left sided, or in the middle?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I am 32, in decent shape (5'11 175lbs) and just take ibuprofen on occasion for a headache or something. Food makes it worse and it is in the middle. I am currently having an issue with my right hand that has been painful and swollen for almost a month. Although i am not sure it is related.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I will say the abdominal pain is not what I would consider severe, but it is bothering me

The top two on my list are gastritis (inflammation of the stomach, ibuprofen can make it worse) or gallbladder/gallstone problems. Given your dark urine, I'm more worried about the gallbladder, since if the bile duct becomes blocked by a gallstone, that can make your urine dark with reabsorbed bile.

I don't know how your hand could be related, but crazier things have happened!

I'd want you to see a doctor and get your blood drawn to see if your bile level is elevated (bilirubin) reflecting a blockage, and an ultrasound of your abdomen to check for gallstones. The other thing you can try is gastritis remedies over the counter to see if your symptoms disappear. If so, it was probably gastritis.

You can take over the countre omeprazole every day for a week to see if you get results. If so, either cut down on your ibuprofen, or remember always to take it with food to protect your stomach.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I do not have insurance and have a wife and 3 kids so I can't really afford a DR. What would you recommend I do
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Also, if I drink plenty of water the urine color goes back to normal

OK, then try methods for the gastritis and if they work, stick with them. You can take tums with meals but ideally you'd prevent it with omeprazole first thing in the morning before food. If everything goes away, you're set and just out the $20 for a months supply of tums and omeprazole.

If that doesn't work, OR if your pain gets worse, you start throwing up, or you have a fever, then I would say you probably have cholecystitis and need to be checked out ASAP. An urgent care or a doctor's office is cheaper than the ED, so try to schedule something. Depending on where you are there are clinics with sliding scales you might be able to find on the internet. Check now in case things get worse and you need a plan quickly.

For both problems, avoiding spicy and fatty foods can reduce symptoms.

Re: the urine, you could just be dehyrdated, or if the blockage is intermittent it could just be a small enough amount of bile to be able to be diluted. Drinking a lot of water isn't a bad idea though!

Does that help?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
If it ends up being cholecystitis, is that something that can go away on its own or is that serious and i need to get the gallblader removed

So there are different schools of thought. I was trained, and personally believe, that cholecystitis needs to be treated with removal of the gallbladder. Some people treat with antibiotics, but there is a high failure rate, and it can recur. If there's any way you can get health insurance, I would. I know it can be really hard.

If you end up having a bile blockage, that can end up being serious enough to hospitalize you, or even kill you. It's less likely, but it's possible.

Hopefully it's just gastritis and omeprazole can fix you right up!

If you're a young, healthy, non overweight man, the likely answer is gastritis, as long as the dark urine is from dehydration and not bile. I think trying acid blockers first is reasonable, as long as you remember the warning signs (fever, increasing pain that doesn't go away, vomiting) that should send you to urgent care or the ED.

Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer, Doctor