Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son just took 3 x 400mg of ibuprofen for burn pain. He is…

My son just took...

My son just took 3 x 400mg of ibuprofen for burn pain. He is 18 years old. What should we do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The burn has blisters and some have split through the night. He has been using a soothing antiseptic cream

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that we are aware of

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Are you asking about the fact that he took more than the recommended amount of ibuprofen?

How much does he weigh?

He weighs about 80kilo and yes the fact that he took 3 tablets instead of 1 accidently. I said 1 x 4 hourly and I think because he was in so much pain he just took 3

OK.

Based on his weight -- he will be fine.

The symptoms of mild toxicity with ibuprofen can be symptoms such as: nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, blurred vision, dizziness. These symptoms can occur 1-2 hours after ingesting the dose.

But these symptoms usually require a much higher dose to be taken.

At his weight, they start to see significant toxicity at levels of 100mg per kg.

So in his case 8 grams of ibuprofen. He took 1.2 grams.

So, because the ibuprofen has a short half life (the body gets rid of it quickly), if he is going to have any symptoms, it probably would be within the first 8 hours -- probably more like the first 4 hours. But again, at his dose of 1.2 grams, that is unlikely to happen.

Nevertheless - if he starts to have the above symptoms, having him go to the ER would be best.

But again, his dose is relatively small to cause any significant toxicity.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Thankyou for your time.

You're welcome.

Best of luck.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon