Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have experienced a sudden sharp pain in my left diaphragm…

I have experienced a...

I have experienced a sudden sharp pain in my left diaphragm side that quickly (over 3 to10 min) radiates through to my back into the shoulder blade area and up into my left side neck area and is quite intense. I must sit back and breath slowly until it passes which can take up to 20 min. I have experienced this about 4 or 5 times over the last few years and once it passes, forgets about it. Could it be heart problems or a stress/anxiety symptom?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I had the first one about 10 years ago and have had years inbetween with none. In the last 3 years maybe I’ve had 3 or 4 times and the last one was in January during a weekend away with my husband and another couple. I am 62 and very active, good shape and low weight

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Well not low weight but no weight problems

3/20/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

No, this doesn't look like related to heart at all. But as per standard guidelines, any pain that affects the chest should be evaluated, and in your case a simple EKG will be enough to make sure this is not from your heart.

It seems that this pain is occurring as a result of muscle spasms, which can happen due to many reasons like dehydration, low calcium, exercise, and some times can be related to weight bearing or abnormal posture.

If you have history of anxiety or panic attacks, then yes this can happen with anxiety episodes also, but if there is no background of panic attacks, this is also unlikely to be related to anxiety.

At this point, most important step is an EKG, which if normal will put your mind at ease.

Good hydration and rest should help this.

And of this persist or continues, then this would be an indication to have an abdominal scan done to make sure there is nothing wrong in the tummy that can cause this pain.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor