Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My girlfriend just had a Pap smear done and it came back…

Hello, my girlfriend just...

Hello, my girlfriend just had a Pap smear done and it came back that she was HPV positive. We have been solely with each other for four years.

Doctor's Assistant: Back (~medical bodypart) How old is your girlfriend? What symptoms is she having?

25

Doctor's Assistant: When was her last pap test or pelvic exam? Any irregular results from past exams?

She just got the results back today, I can’t remember the actual date

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, nothing to my knowledge

3/20/2018
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I'm sorry you are concerned about your girlfriend having HPV and the possibility of you getting infected. She may have had this virus dormant in her system for many years, even before the two of you met. At this time you should be tested and you should wear a condom when you have intercourse. HPV in females can lead to cervicitis and cervical cancer. But if she had any evidence of inflammation, her PAP smear would report this. This does not need to happen and usually doesn't. She should have another PAP in 6 months. You need to be tested, but her having HPV doesn't always mean that you have it.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Well I have some more questions for you, I do have a plantars wart on my foot. I’ve had it for a few months and have not had it treated. Now I just discovered today that a plantars wart Is caused by HPV that you obtained through your foot, I had stayed in a hotel out of town and was barefoot when showering , I noticed my foot feeling sore about a week later. would that show up in her recent hpv test as positive? Thanks a lot,

Plantar Warts are caused by HPV. This may be the reason she is positive for HPV on her PAP. You're 25 and can still be vaccinated for HPV. If your girlfriend is also younger than 26, she can also be vaccinated. Please discuss this with your doctor and both of you get vaccinated. This is more important now than getting your Plantar Wart treated unless you are in pain and have difficulty walking.

Now If the case is she was infected with a virus by me having catching HPV through my foot, would she received treatment or what? Also what is a way that I can be tested for HPV? Thank you

There is no treatment except vaccination. Should she get any cervical involvement, that will be treated with LOOP (electrocautery to remove the affected tissue). You do not need testing as you already have HPV (your wart). You need to be vaccinated. Vaccination will help prevent any further outbreak.

OK, I made my appointment to get the vaccination, it’s just very strange to me that a plantars wart is HPV, It was the first time I heard about that today while reading

There are many different strains of HPV.

What are the diseases induced by HPV?

DISEASE

STRAIN

Common warts

2, 7

Plantar warts

1, 2, 4

Flat cutaneous warts

3, 10

Anogenital warts (Condyloma acuminatum)

6, 11, 42,43,44, 55 and more

Genital malignancies

16, 18, 31,33,35, 39, 45, 51

Epidermodysplasia verruciformis

>15 strains

Focal epithelial hyperplasia (oral)

13, 32

Oral Papillomas

6, 7, 11, 16, 32

The above may help you to accept what HPV can cause.

Any additional thoughts, questions?

I’m currently out of town for work. I have an appointment to get vaccinated On Monday and girlfriend has a follow up appointment to get a biopsy done here soon

Thank you for this additional information. Did the list of HPV causing problems help you?

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor