Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is 37.7 C in a 3.5 months baby a fever? Taken rectally.

Customer Question
Is 37.7 C in...

Is 37.7 C in a 3.5 months baby a fever? Taken rectally

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

Since a few days readings are most often 37.7

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Baby does seem to have a cold but our doctor told us it would gonaway

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/20/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.

Does your baby have any other symptom?
How is feeding?

Did you give you any medicine?

I didn’t give him anything no.
He has had a cold for 2 weeks but our doctor told us it wasn’t in his lung and to just watch for fevers that it would go away on it’s own.
He is feeding well.

Thank you for the input.

I am very sorry for his symptoms.

Normal rectal temperature in infant upto 37.5 C.

Temperature above 38 is considered as fever in small infant.

Mild rise in temperature can be due to viral illness.

As his feeding ok, no other symptom, you should wait and watch.

If temperature rises or if he develops any other symptom or feeding decreases, I would advise to take an examination by doctor again.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Your satisfaction is my goal.

If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.

Wish him healthy life.

Regards.

Can’t a slightly elevated rectal temp be related to over bundling or hot house temp or cuddling?

Over bundling, hot house temp may raise the temperature a little.

You can remove the bundling & it would go back to normal.