Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had diarrhea off and on for nearly two weeks now. I…

Hi! I have had...

Hi! I have had diarrhea off and on for nearly two weeks now

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I should preface this by saying that usually I am pretty constipated, so this was a surprise

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am pretty sure I have IBS, generally C, but my symptoms have never been this bad

3/20/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

Welcome to Justanswer!

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now.

How old are you? Do you have abdomen pain, nausea, belching, excessive gas?

Hi, I'm 32, female. I have some abdominal pain when I'm actually using the bathroom; very mild cramping otherwise. No nausea, belching, gas
I usually am constipated, so at first this was almost a relief! But now I have had to miss a few days of work.
If this is relevant - a couple of months ago I tried to increase the protein in my diet so I began eating more lean chicken and fish than usual (used increased from about twice a week to maybe once daily). I tried to ease on that a couple of days ago
Hi Dr. Shah, are we still connected?

Yes, I am reading your messages

Is it really a loose watery stool or just a increase in frequency?

Both
yet, sometimes there is also straining necessary

Thanks for the information.

Occasional change in frequency of stool without any other associated symptoms is not a major concern. It can happen due to many things including stress and diet. In your case, I don't see any other symptoms, therefore most likely it's part of IBS which can present like this. If you see it happening again and again, then you can get a stool test to see what's happening. In the meantime, take rest, drink water, and take OTC pepto-bismol to feel better.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

Thank you. I understand that there are no other symptoms, but I shouldn't be concerned that this has been going on for nearly two weeks? That it's a complete opposite presentation of how my (likely) IBS usually presents? And that it is severe enough that it causes me to miss work?
Also, pepto hasn't worked for me at all, sadly
Should I make any changes to my diet? And what constitutes "keeps on happening "? How long does it have to go on for before I Should be concerned, absent the other symptoms?

IBS can cause change in bowel movements patter. Watch what you eat and see if your find a particular food which is triggering diarrhea. If no improvement, you should get a stool test within a week.

Okay, thank you. I document everything I eat in an app, so that part should be easy. Will schedule a stool test if no change. Thank you!!
Have a good day Dr. Shah

You are welcome!

Thanks for visiting justanswer.

Now you can leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor