Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was wondering if your doctors help with weight loss. I…

Customer Question
I was wondering if...

I was wondering if your doctors help with weight loss. I cannot get into my doctor until may 1st.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am not taking anything now, have done some research on some things to get my weigh controlled

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, no stress, nothing. I just cannot stop eating crap and have gained 26 pounds since June 2017

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/20/2018
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 1 month ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how old are you? Are you male of female? Any chronic medical conditions or medications you take regularly? And did you have any specific questions as to how physicians can help with weight loss?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am 36 years old, Female. 5'2'' 156 pounds. 26 of those pounds have been gained less than a year. The only medication I am on is birth control. I am not stressed, depressed or anything like that. I just have gotten lost in food and it is mostly junk and I cannot stop.I have done research in Phentermine in which is increases your metabolism and helps with energy and lowers food cravings
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need something to help jumpstart myself again. This has gotten out of hand and I cannot stop eating.

I understand. Diet control and weight loss can be a challenging journey. You are correct, phetermine is a stimulant appetite suppressant sometimes prescribed by doctors to aid in appetite suppression and weight loss. It is often used in combination with another medication, topiramate, which is a neurologic drug used in the treatment of migraines and seizures, that also has appetite suppressant/weight loss effects. The combined medication form of the two is known as Qsymia, however it is a branded drug that is very expensive and poorly covered by insurance. Not all docs prescribed these meds for weight loss, but those that are experienced and comfortable doing so will often give you separate generic forms of the drugs to reduce cost and increase insurance coverage. Phentermine is a controlled substance and so requires in person visits, usually a physical paper prescription and close monitoring.

Can I help answer any other questions or provide any other information for you today?

Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD