Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am taking 20mg of pronpranlol 2x a day and my /p is still…

Customer Question
I am taking 20mg...

I am taking 20mg of pronpranlol 2x a day and my b/p is still high about 160/74 it is higher in he a.m. and lower in the afternoon, it doesn't seem to be coming down with the medicine, what should I di?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Just the pronpranlol, no.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have generized anxiety disorder.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/20/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
How old are you?

Since when are you taking Propranolol?

When did you consult doctor last?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I started taking it a couple of weeks ago cuz my b/p was high in doctors office, white coat hypertension, but have noticed in recent months that when I take it at home it has been in the 150ish range bottom number stays in 70s

Thank you for the input.
Anxiety and stress can be a factor.
You may need change of medicine or doses.
Doctor can increase the evening dose as BP is high in the morning.
Please make a note of your blood pressure and show it to doctor so that he can make a management plan.
I would advise to take an examination by doctor again.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I have not seen a good change in my b/p since taking the medicine, but it has slowed my heart rate and I feel tired alot, what is up with that, wrong medicine for me.

How is your heart rate now?

What was your heart rate before start of medicine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is in the 63 to 70 range, It was higher than that without medicine, before 70 to 80

Propranolol can reduce the heart rate and blood pressure.
As it is not helping, doctor may change the medicine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is being hydrated have anything to do with it? I tend not to drink much of anything, I am hardly ever thirsty.

No, taking adequate fluid will not increase the blood pressure.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant, if not drinking enough fluids will make your b/p worse?

If you do not take enough fluid, you can be dehydrated.

Severe dehydration can decrease blood pressure.

It will not increase the blood pressure.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)