Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have extreme night sweats - just soaked at times. I had a…

Customer Question
I have extreme night...

I have extreme night sweats - just soaked at times. I had a hysterectomy in 1998. I have never taken hormones. I did have Graves Disease and my Thyroid was treated with radioactive iodine. I take Levothyroxine 88mcg daily. Cooking is my hobby and I do drink about 3 -4 cans of light beer while cooking. I make everything from scratch.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I take Levothyroxin 88 mcg. and Wellbutrin 150 mg. before my quit smoking date.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take both of those meds once a day. I am allergic to penicillin, sulfar, erythromycin, and hair dye.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have no other medical history. I am 69 - long time smoker and have set a quit date. Medicare pays for a low dose CT scan of the lungs yearly - I have no signs of lung cancer according to the Radiologist.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
3/20/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 1 month ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Night time (Nocturnal) sweating (diaphoresis) needs investigations for;

1) tuberculosis,

2) lymphoma,

3) endocarditis,

4) diabetes,

5) acromegaly,

6) Prinzmetal angina.

7) hormonal issues.

Thus you need investigations as following;

Complete blood counts.

Glycosylated hemoglobin

Adrenal function tests

Sedimentation rate

C-reactive protein

Comprehensive metabolic panel

Ultrasound of abdomen.

Stress EKG.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Night sweats is always taken as a signifciant symptom and would warrant search for the cause. Following causes should be investigated by the other associated symptoms, signs, labs and medical imaging;

1) Lymphoma

2) Mycobacterial infections

3) Medications

4) Gastroesophageal reflux disease

5) Sleep apnea

6) Idiopathic hyperhidrosis

7) Autonomic neuropathy

8) Carcinoid syndrome.

Investigations needed are;

1) a chest radiograph, a PPD test, a complete blood count, TSH, and blood cultures.

2) a CT scan of the torso.

3) a bone marrow biopsy.

4) a 24-hour urine collection for 5-HIAA, metanephrines, and catecholamines

If everything comes out to be normal; he should be inquired about the sleep disturbances, sleep quality etc. Certain sleep disorders, such as sleep apnea, periodic leg movements during sleep, painful arousals, and frightening dreams might cause night sweats and he should be evaluated at a sleep clinic.

http://www.medicinenet.com/night_sweats/article.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-sweats/MY00576

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030301/1019.html

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor