Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been taking .5mg of zanaz for sleep at night and now…

I have been taking...

I have been taking .5mg of zanaz for sleep at night and now my doctor gave me 10mg of doxepin to take instead. Do I need to taper off Zanaz or just switch?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Problems with sleep and anxiety while waking from sleep. I am recovering from severe anxiety attack from some Trauma. Feeling better execept of the night

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

It started two years ago after I went through flooding through Standy and my husband was very ill at at same time and passed two years ago. Have worked with therapist on this and have come a long way. Use to wake every three hours at night with sweats, and heart raceing. All that gone. Now just wake up two, with a little anxiety. Also, finally figured out had TMJ during this time, so also getting therapy on all the neck mucles that put pressure on my ears and gave me tenitis. This is also getting better.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Developed high blood pressure during this time. taking 50mg of losartin, but have been in excellent health before all this.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

How long have you been on the Xanax?

And didn't your doctor tell you what to do?

Been taking xanax for four weeks, and she just told me to take Doxepin instead, as she did not want me on Xanaz any more.

Thanks

Since you've only been on the Xanax for four weeks there's no need for a taper

You can just immediately switch to the doxepin

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you so much, as now I just feel more comfortable about this.

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you