Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Pls explain reverse shoulder surgery for a 74 year old and…

Pls explain reverse shoulder...

Pls explain reverse shoulder surgery for a 74 year old and can stem cell therapy be involved or is it used in the surgical procedure?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes. one opinion from MRI and xrays and this was Drs. diagnosis. Having 2nd opinion soon.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Acute fracture of L1 back last year for many months. Now healed. Otherwise healthy

3/20/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Dear *****ient, reverse shoulder surgery is a special prosthesis for the elderly, as it is used when the rotator cuff of the shoulder is badly injured due to wear and tear over the years.
Conventional shoulder prostheses (which are not reversed) are prostheses with a different design and are used in people with higher mechanical demands, such as athletes or young people, because the rotator cuff is strong and healthy.
The big difference that lies in the type of prosthesis and you for your age would benefit from this type of prosthesis because it is the right one.
the indication of reverse prostheses is due to osteoarthritis or the shoulder joint
Stem cells are used to improve the inflammation and recovery of a tissue can be muscle, tendon or ligament thanks to their regenerating and anti-inflammatory properties, typically used separately. but even the usefulness of stem cells in severely damaged or advanced tissue deterioration is disputed.

if your shoulder has a very important osteoarthritis, and you have an inability to move your shoulder, the most recommended option is the reverse prosthesis.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My slight pain began 6 yrs ago & now I cannot do everyday tasks nor dry my hair.
I think u r saying that the surgery is my BEST choice? Or would stem cell be in addition to it or done with surgery?

If your daily tasks can not be done, it is because there is a deterioration greater than 50% of the joint, which would suggest that the surgery is the best option.
To make a decision also depends on the degree of osteoarthritis and lesions evidenced in your radiography and MRI scans.

the stem cells can be placed during the surgery in an additional way.

any doubt?

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No doubts but i will certainly inquire if stem cells can be used in my surgery. Thx.

Its has been a pleasure.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor