Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Does low ferritin and values on the lower end for hemoglobin…

Does low ferritin and values...
Does low ferritin and values on the lower end for hemoglobin and hematocrit point to iron deficiency anemia? And can cancers cause this ? If so which ones ? In a female in her thirties ...
3/20/2018
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Do you have a picture of your bloodwork you can share?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My ferritin is at the lower end
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my urobilinogene is high :(
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel weak and unwell. It’s been going on for a while and we can’t figure out the cause
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But anyhow question is more about the iron and ferritin

Do you have heavy menstrual periods?

Did you start taking an iron tablet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I didn’t start yet
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah my period is a bit heavier than usual for the past times
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s liquid and had clots but it’s heavy

What is your age?

Have you had a Pap smear?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Had Pap smear in October and pelvic and transvaginal us last month
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Both normal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the cause of this excessive bleeding is unknown
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m 34

Did they try a birth control tablet? You may want to tr birth control to help slow down the bleeding

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But what can caise this exessove bleeding ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I even had pt test and irn(i do t know the name in English) and all is good

Do you have pain with your Menstrual cycle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s just really liquid. I don’t even know how to explain. It flows so fast that I need 2 different methods of protection for the leak

there are a couple different causes. Generally, excessive bleeding can caused by polyps, fibroids, endometrial tissue growth, coagulopathy, or other causes of hyperplasia of the tissue. if the ultrasound was normal and your blood work was otherwise normal, you can have an MRI of the pelvis to look for other structural diseases. Also, you can have bloodwork to look for hCG, prolactin, FSH, LH, TSH, androgens, progesterone, and other causes that would make you bleed. If all this is normal, you should have an endometrial biopsy. Birth control tablets will help regulate the bleeding. Your doctor can also give you medications that will help stop the bleeding if it becomes too severe.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The biopsy would be I guess to look for endometrial cancer ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Because my gynecologist was not to concerned and didn’t think it was necessary. He gave me pills for the bleeding but that’s it
Because the ultrasound and bloodwork was normal

Generally, you will see something on ultrasound or MRI if there is a concern for cancer. Something such as a endometrial stripe or endometrial lesion will be present. It sounds like this is not found. As you age, you can have menstrual irregularities. these are usually controlled well with birth control tablets.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be due to my pregnancy ? It started 6-7 months after my second delivery

6 to 7 months after pregnancy is a long time - I doubt this is related to pregnancy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
could that be the cause of the ferritin?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also in your opinion is it low enough o cause exhaustion?

That is most likely the cause of low ferritin. It is actually very common. if you're bleeding a significant amount that can cause exhaustion and fatigue. at this point in time I would recommend taking iron supplement and birth control tablets that you were given.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok and the last thing ... if not any cancers that would cause this ? I had a ct scan abdominal and pelvic and except for a non specific spleen that is longer at 14 cm nothing was found ...

You should have a TSH, LH, FSH, prolactin, progesterone, and beta hCG check.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Scott, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I jist don’t have a picture
Dr. Scott, Doctor