Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My sister has had three rounds of chemo for breast cancer.

Customer Question
My sister has had...

My sister has had three rounds of chemo for breast cancer. After the first round she was hospitalized for dehydration from vomiting. After the second round she was again hospitalized for dehydration. After the third round, everything went downhill and was hospitalized approximately five times in 7 weeks. She is presently in the hospital and was diagnosed with metabolic encephalopathy and a UTI. She was given fluids, electrolytes and antibiotics. However, she shows signs of dementia and is in and out of lucidity. The doctors are at a loss and even with fluids and electrolytes, she remains the same. I scoured the internet and came upon Wernicke encephalopathy, and she has all the symptoms except for the fact that she’s far from being an alcoholic. They are now giving her Keppra and thiamine, which she’s been on for two days, and it hasn’t made a difference. She’s had numerous MRI’s, CT scans, EEG, lumbar puncture which were “normal”. I am so frustrated with the situation and know that there is something wrong but no one can come up with a diagnosis.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Mentally I am

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She’s 69. Other than that, she was fine before chemo treatments which started in October 2017

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Can you list all her other meds?

Exact names, no, but I believe losartin for bp, med for just diagnosed in the last 5 months for diabetes. She was taking zofran, which didn’t work, compazine, which also had no effect, marinol, same no effect

Knowing all the meds is critical for me to help

can you find them out?

Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago

just click send to reply