Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had an aclasta infusion on Friday. I did suffer flu like…

Customer Question
I had an aclasta...

I had an aclasta infusion on Friday. I did suffer flu like symptoms that lasted a day and night. Now I have swelling in my wrist that seems to be getting worse. It’s 10:30pm, should I wait until morning to see a Doctor. Is this a dangerous symptoms. Regards, ***** *****.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

I only noticed a stiffness when I woke this morning. Thought I might have slept on it. It is slowly gotten stiffer through the day. Now I can see swelling.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have an allergy to penicillin and sulphur. I am very intolerant to casein, gluten, vinegar, sugar and cabbage type veggies. I feel like a hypochondriac

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/20/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 3 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

You have swelling in just one wrist? Is it the same arm as the injection was given? Did you have an IV in that wrist or forearm?

I had the infusion in the vein on the same arm

OK.

Some people can have reactions to the medication which can include swelling (5-20% of people) and muscle pains (23%) and limb pains (14%).

So it is very possible that this is a reaction to the medication.

It could also be an issue with an incorrect infusion into the arm (from an "infiltrated" IV line) but you would have seen swelling right away.

It could be reaction to a developing infection (in which case the swelling could get worse).

As long as you have normal circulation (are your fingers normal temperature and color) and normal sensation (no tingling in the fingers) and normal strength in the hand -- I think it can wait until morning.

You will want to call your doctor's office though to make sure they don't want further followup.

It is difficult to close my fist tightly. The ring finger is a bit swollen. The skin colour is normal. Where the swelling is on the back of the wrist., it’s a bit warmer
Perhaps I should drink a lot of water
?
Don’t drink an excess of water, just the normal amount. (You don’t want to cause more overall swelling with excess fluids)
Ok. I’m happy txting. Are you in Australia
Thank you Dr Mark. You have answered my questions and I feel settled now to wait until the morning. If things get worse through the night I’ll make another decision then. Regards, ***** *****.
I am in the United States, best of luck to you.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!