Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Why do older adult fart so much more than younger adult? I'm…

Why do older adult...

Why do older adult fart so much more than younger adult? I'm 52, I blame it on the extremely stressful of the last 4 years....but the non-stop farting just starting about 18 months ago...now it's like 15 times a day...there's no small though...just feel like a lot of gas...Is this normal? Or it's a condition that can be treated?

Doctor's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Not asking for lawyer's advice. seeking docotr

Doctor's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Trying to find doctors from the pull down menu, but it doesn't work

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Unless you can connet me to a doctor, not lawyer

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/20/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

as we all get older, often times our bowels are not able to break down sugars from Milk lactose as we get older and are not able to handle gluten wheat protein in our diets

that is why many adults have to go lactose free and milk free and gluten free to help their bowels

you may want to try this to see if this helps you with your gas issue. I bet it will

It only started happening when I turned 50, burping like crazy all day as well. In general, everyday feel my body is a balloon, FULL of gas, coming out upper exit and lower...very embarrasing.every uncomfortable ..So is the burping all day is the same reason as the farting/digestion problem? Any supplement can help these (reducing gas)?
And is farting frequency like 30 times a day, every 15min sometimes every 5 minutes normal, along with the burping?

burping like crazy is from your stomach producting too much stomach acid which can cause burping.

some foods produce more stomach acid like tomato sauces, spicy foods, fried foods, alcohol, sodas, acidic foods, fatty meals, black pepper.

there are stomach acid reducing medications like zantac and prilosec which can help decrease stomach acid.

you can also try GasX to help decrease gas

but cutting out gluten, white flour, pasta and milk in your diet could help

you can also keep a food diary of what you eat to see what causes the most gas

changing to almond milk or lactose free milk from regular milk can help

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
I had to have my gallbladder removed because of serious imflamation...not sure if has to do with anything....but I think it's best I also get checked up by a Gastroenterologist...thank you for the information :)

you are welcome

thanks for using JustAnswer.com