Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a questions about my mother. She is taking Triplixam…

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a questions about my mother.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

She is taking Triplixam about blood pressure and has a stent. She had a night/early morning confusion. She wakes up and doesn't know where she is, and starts looking around

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Not very good. She feels lightheaded, dizzy, falls. She has had a hip replacement surgery before.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Heart condition, diabetes, anemia, frequent dizziness After she fell the previous time alone, she was confused and had hallucinations.

3/20/2018
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** am US trained, Board Certified with 30 years of patient experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I'm sorry your mother is having some confusion problems. May I ask her age? What are her blood pressure numbers? When did she have blood tests last?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
81 years of age. Blood pressure was 140/90 some time in the hospital. Now it is better, perhaps about 136.
She had blood tests in the hospital towards the end of feb., early March. They found an infection in lungs and treated her for that.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am abroad and I prefer consultation here for now.

Thank you for this additional information. Her blood pressure seems controlled, but the second number, Diastolic could be a little lower. I assume 136 is her weight, which should not be a problem.

You can ignore the auto request for Premium Service...Telephone Call

The confusion may be related to her recent hospital stay and will resolve slowly in a few weeks. She may also have early dementia which could be Alzheimer type or non-Alzheimer type. She may also be a little dehydrated. Her blood pressure medication, Triplixam, is not the cause. Anemia can also cause this type of problem. May I suggest you increase her fluid intake to at least 64 ounces daily. If she is dehydrated her symptoms should go away in 5-7 days. Low blood sugar, especially in the morning can also cause her symptoms and changing positions from lying to standing too quickly can be the cause. If her symptoms do not go away, then please schedule an appointment with a Neurologist to evaluate for dementia.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Have I?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned your 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
136 is her upper blood pressure today. It is something like 136/70. Her weight is about 55 kg.
The confusion is a recent thing. Previously she has not had it.
There might have been dehydration last time she fell, because she was alone at home and we don't know how long she lay fallen.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can it be determined if it is Alzeimer or non-Alzheimer-type? What is the best medication?

It is not unusual for someone her age to exhibit confusion after being in the hospital. Since she was not confused before entering the hospital, it is much less likely to be dementia. Mom probably has reversible Delerium which can be resolved with increased fluids. From your additional information, I doubt she has Dementia. If this does not clear in 5-7 days with additional fluids, then she will need a Neurologic examination which will include MRI of her brain, Cognitive testing by a Neurologist. Medication is available to slow progression which will be determined by the evaluating doctor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Btw, they did a CT scan of the brain at the hospital and said there was nothing. In the sense, there was not a stoke. I might be able to send you the CT scan, if you like.

CT is a good study for stroke, but MRI is much better for diagnosing Alzheimer's Disease. Again, since she did not have the confusion prior to being in the hospital, dementia is less likely to be the cause of her confusion. Increase her fluids, her confusion and dizziness will probably resolve in less than a week.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor