Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been diagnosed with Gonorrhea about two weeks ago.

Hi there, I have...

Hi there, I have been diagnosed with Gonorrhea about two weeks ago. The symptoms were not severe, only light discharge and some discomfort when i pee. The doctor gave me a 7 day treatment of ciprofloxacin 500mg and doxycyclina 100mg. The symptoms persisted but did not get serious until the 6th day. It got worse on the 7th day that the discharge became more and frequent, there was more discomfort when I pee, the penis became red and a bit swollen and I also felt some muscle pain in my left arm. I went to see another doctor 3 days later and he said the previous drugs didn't work and gave me an injection on the buttock. I am now one day after the injection, I could see improvement that the discharge became less and not as frequent and there was not much discomfort when I pee. However, the arm muscle pain has still persisted for 5 days now and the left side of my penis shaft is swollen but no pain. Am I on the right track to recovery? I am worried why the swelling of my penis has gotten worse than one day ago. Also is the left arm pain a side effect of ciprofloxacin and not a symptom of gonorrhea? How can the muscle pain go away? Thank you for your time!

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

The better part is the discharge has become less and not as frequent and there is less to no discomfort when I pee now. The worse part is the swelling and the continued pain in my arm.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't think so

I missed one thing, I was diagnosed with HSV 2 in my mid 30s. I am a 44 years old male.
3/20/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

when you were injected in the buttock?

When did the pain and swelling in your arm start?

I had an oral sex with a female on Mar 1. Symptoms started to show on Mar 8, went to see the first doctor on Mar 10 and started taking the first 7 day medication. On the last day of the first medication which is Mar 16 I started to feel the pain in my left arm and can still feel the pain now. On Mar 17 I started to notice that my penis opening has swollen a bit and on Mar 18 one side of my penis shaft was also swollen. I went to see the second doctor on Mar 19 to take the injection. It has now been 31 hours since I have taken the injection.

Dear friend, I'm impressed that if it's the right treatment, you've probably had a vial of ceftriazone placed in your buttock. which is a very effective treatment for stressful infections.
For as long as you have had this infection, it is normal for the penis or testicles to have swollen as a result of the infection.
Once the ideal antibiotic is in place, symptoms begin to disappear after 72 hours.
The pain in the arm is quite nonspecific and could be caused by the stress generated by this situation that you are going through, which has certainly generated muscle tension and contractures and therefore generates pain.
If the symptoms have started to improve you should not be alarmed at how they will improve, I reiterate this treatment is highly effective.
I think you should rest and relax a little, since you've spent two very tense weeks.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Thank you for your reply. A few more questions:
1. So this can be cured right?
2. Is swelling of the penis shaft also a symptom of Gonorrhea cos I didn't see this when I googled it.
3. I have booked to see the doctor again for a follow-up one week after the injection, and should I expect the doctor to do another test to see if I have been cleared?
4. When can I start to have normal sex again?Thanks!
I am just scared that mine could be a complicated case because the first time of medication didn't cure. And I have read that ciprofloxacin could have side effects which could cause muscle pain so I am not sure if it is related.

1. Yes, this is cured and it is very frequent so you should not be alarmed.

2. Yes, it is a symptom when the infection has lasted as long as it is your case, this is because there are some bacteria that are a bit more resistant than others.

3, if the secretion and inflammation disappear no further tests should be performed, if not improved, a culture and antibiogram may be requested.

4. You can have sex 15 days after all the symptoms of infection have disappeared.

in this case it was a low dose of ciprofloxacin, I do not consider it to be the cause.
I hope this information has been helpful.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Thank you Doc!

its has been a pleasure.

take care.

Oh one last question, when should I expect to see the symptoms gone after the injection?
cos I still have discharge even though it has become less.

the symptoms begin to disappear after 72 hours after the injection.

ok thank you so much!
Hi Doc, my symptoms are basically gone now 72 hours after the injection. But I still have sore and ache in my left arm muscle and joint and this is now the 7th day I have felt this pain. The muscle pain and sore is kind of like that when you have flu sometimes. Is this related to Gonorrhea or another STI? I have read something like Gonococcal arthritis which could cause muscle pain. But in my case other than the sore and ache there is no skin lesions and it is not swollen. Could you please advise?
To be clear it is actually not the joint but only the muscles and maybe tendons on my left arm.

Hello dear friend, don't be alarmed, these symptoms are the result of gonorrhea, they will disappear after a week.
You must maintain good hydration and I suggest you take tylenol for the pain.
but they're symptoms from the infectious process. You're still in recovery.