Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having lots of pain in my upper arm, mainly, but can…

I am having lots...

I am having lots of pain in my upper arm, mainly, but can move to my shoulder, my shoulder blade, elbow and thumb area. My movement is restricted. I cannot raise my arm above my shoulder, reach out to side or very far to the back or across my body. This pain can be worse with movement, but also can just be a consistant ache. It is worse in the morning after sleeping (on my back, trying to keep it still).

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling noticed. It all seemed to start with the thumb and grip area of left hand. I was knitting a lot and thought it might be a repetitive movement injury. I did have some consistent tension in that grip while knitting and also notices that I also tilt my neck to the right while knitting It seemed like this pain slowly moved up my arm and now my hand only hurts occasionally and much less. I have looked for trigger points in neck and arm and upper back and have treated them with some success. But pain just seems to move around. As the day goes on it generally improves. If I move wrong where I'm restricted it is very painful for a time. Overuse seems to make it worse.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had an MRI 10 years ago that showed canal stenosis at C5-C6. At the time I was having some nerve pain in my R shoulder blade. I was seeing a NUCCA chiropractor, but it seemed like the trigger point therapy was what took the pain away. Nothing has been problematic for 10 years since, except that my hands tend to fall asleep when sleeping (not always, but for certain stretches of time) or when using them in slightly elevated positions, ie driving a long time, bike riding, and I noticed it knitting.

3/20/2018
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer.I am Dr.Sawhney and your complete satisfaction is my goal.I am reviewing your question and I would respond shortly.

Thanks for your question.

I need some more information.

Since how long have you been having this issue?

What are your age and gender?

Are you a diabetic?

Does the pain radiate down the neck into the arm?

Does coughing or sneezing make the pain worse?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pain in my thumb and grip started last Nov. when I was knitting a lot, which I stopped doing.
By Dec.. the pain was showing up when I moved my arm backwards or sideways too fast.
Then in Jan. I started feeling restriction in movement and having arm pain with and without movement, that changes. It seems to have slowly moved up my arm at times to shoulder and also shoulder blade, but can be anywhere at anytime. Mostly it has been in the tricep area. But I also can feel it at times still in my thumb.
I am a 63 y/o female. Not diabetic.
The pain doesn't radiate from my neck to arm. I don't have any neck pain, but have found tender trigger points in neck when looking for them.
Coughing or sneezing does not effect pain.
Thank you for your detailed reply.
I feel you may be developing adhesive capsulitis which is known by the common name of frozen shoulder.
This condition typically has an insidious onset with progressive restriction in range of motion.
Treatment would involve use of steroid shots into the subacromial space along with Physiotherapy to increase the range of motion and to take care of the stiffness.
You should see your GP you can give you these shots.
You should also start a range of motion exercises under supervision of a physiotherapist.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Do take a moment to honour my work and time by rating my answer hopefully 5 stars.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor