Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had an issue last night where I suddenly felt I was

Customer Question
I had an issue...

I had an issue last night where I suddenly felt I was gasping for breath - I was laying in bed at the time and this progressed in to hand numbness and anxiety for the rest of the night. It’s night two and I have the hand numbness again. I realized I hadn’t been taking my synthroid for a couple days - could this be the result? Arm pain and numbness of the hands?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Two days.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Laying down makes it worse.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have been experiencing new symptoms as you have described above. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

At the outset I want to inform you & reassure you that these new symptoms you have been experiencing do not appear secondary to any type of serious illnesses.

These symptoms are not due to any illnesses such as MS (Multiple sclerosis), Stroke, Brain tumor, Brain bleeding, Brain infections, Heart diseases, Lung diseases, or any other serious illnesses.

These types of incidents turn out to be completely benign in nature

Even missing taking meds such as synthroid too occasionally can precipitate these types of symptoms, so this is a possibility too but one or otherway this is representative of something benign rather than anything serious in nature

Health anxiety, fear of serious illnesses, or Stress etc too can cause these types of symptoms, which are once again benign nature.

Please see for the purpose of making a diagnosis (ruling in or ruling out any disease) - it is the pattern of a symptom which is more important than the symptom itself - because it is the pattern of the symptom that provides a doctor very vital & crucial clues regarding what could be causing the symptom or symptoms. The pattern of the symptoms you have been having is pointing towards only some benign issues, and certainly not pointing towards any serious health issues involving the brain/neurological structures, or heart or lungs etc

If patients visit us in our clinic with these types of new symptoms - first we conduct a thorough examination in the clinic (check the nerves, muscles, spine/neck/back, heart, lung, brain, and other nervous system, and other systems etc), followed by which we arrange certain relevant investigations which may include certain specific blood tests, a brain scan, certain heart and lung related tests such as EKG, Echocardiogram, a chest x ray, a nerve & muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test etc, and any other tests as necessary, and with experience I can reassure you that both the clinical examination as well as these investigations - all are expected to come normal.

If these symptoms persist please try to get this evaluated and investigated further in the clinic – as discussed above. But please see this is essentially to reassure you, because when all these neurological, nerve, muscle, spine, heart and lung tests etc will come normal – certainly as expected – then you will feel very reassured that you are indeed not having any serious neurological, nerve/muscle, spine, heart or lung illnesses etc to explain your symptoms. So I am recommending you to undergo clinical evaluation and investigations not because I suspect any actual or serious illnesses in you, rather it is only to prove to you that you are indeed not having any serious or any neurological, spine, nerve/muscle, or heart or lung illnesses etc, and also there is certainly no suspicion for any bleedings in the brain, strokes, brain tumors, MS (Multiple sclerosis), heart attacks, lung diseases, nerve or muscle injuries, spine diseases, or any other serious illnesses, so please not to be scared.

Once again I can reassure you, this is representative of some benign issue, and not suspicious for anything serious in nature.

Wishing & reassuring you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, how are you feeling now? I hope you are feeling better now.

Do you want to discuss further the health concerns you have expressed above, or are there any other health concerns that you want to discuss?

Please let me know

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD