Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am taking augmentin for ear infection been in the

I am taking augmentin...

I am taking augmentin for ear infection been in the antibiotic for 48 hours and I am still having ear pain. Also I am having really bad diarrhea. Had 3 lose stools in the past 20 minutes. The other thing is the diarrhea is coming out it about 1 inch pieces that are narrow and they float. Is that okay?

Doctor's Assistant: When were you prescribed the antibiotic? How severe were any side effects?

3.17.2017 and the diarrhea is getting worse. I have had 8-9 loose stools today.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the looseness?

I have not.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think off

3/20/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?

I am 35. Have history of depression and anxiety but that’s it. I started to have flu like symptoms 8 days ago. I was not better by 3.17.2018 and had some bloody drainage from my ear: went to the doctor and diagnosed with sinus infection and ear infection. Never had a fever or nause

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
Augmentin can cause diarrhea as side effect.
As you are still feeling ear pain, it may not be quite effective.
I would advise to contact your doctor.
He can change the antibiotic.
Please try to take plenty of fluid & electrolytes like oral rehydration fluid, gatorade.
This would prevent dehydration.
Please take bland, soft diet.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Only other question is about the fact the stool is floating? Is that okay?

It is not worrying.

This can happen in diarrhea.

Okay thank you very much!

You are always welcome.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish you healthy life.
Warm Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)