Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a liver cyst removed 10 years ago and it has come

I had a liver...

I had a liver cyst removed 10 years ago and it has come back. I am having a CT scan but wonder if there is any other treatment than drainage or removal. I had the old one drained 3 times and will do it again if those are the only options. That's all there was 10 years ago but just wondered if any other procedures have been developed.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

My GP had me do a sonogram and it had grown since last sonogram 2 years ago. I went to a GI-Nurse. She has sent me to get the CT scan then said I had to see a hepatologist who is 100 miles away in my network. I see no reason to go that far just to be told there was nothing else to do.I'm not on medication for it. It is just painful sometimes.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Metformin, sulindac, levothyroxine, losartan, atorvastatin, aspirin, probiotic, B12, multivitamin, move free ultra. I'm not allergic to anything that I know of.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm 70 years old and over weight by about 60 pounds. Quit smoking cigarettes 4 years ago and vape zero nicotine juice.

3/20/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

cysts filled with fluid in the liver if they come back and are problematic need to be drained by a needle or removed by surgery

there really are no other new options other than those.

some interventional radiologist can do this type of work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I needed to know if much had changed in ten years and it hasn't. I see no need to see a hepatologist 100 miles away for them to tell me that. When I had my first cyst drained my GP put in a request for it and I assume I can have it done by him this time too.

there are interventional radiologist and surgeons who can sometimes drain these benign liver cysts.

you may not have to travel to see a hepatologist.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician