Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having shirtness of breath, spirometry showed…

Customer Question
Hi i have been...

Hi i have been having shirtness of breath, spirometry showed mild restriction not reversible after bronchodilator, dx with mild asthma. Recent lab work showed positive ANA (1:160), elevated d dimer, crp and esr. Ive been having chest pains and palpitations. Pulse ox drops during the night. Have been back and forth to ER with help. Have loss 12 pounds in 7 days due to lack of eating secondary to dysphagia. Have f/u scheduled with Cardiology, GI and Rheumatology. Any advice on what can be causing this.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

First time, started last week. No sob at the current moment

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing, perfectly healthy before I had the flu in January followed by strep throat, sinusitis and ear infections.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also in the morning my heart rate rises with any little movement. It has gone as high as 160
3/20/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Did they rule out a PE?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Had negative ct scan done prior to the d dimer elevation
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anytime i try to drink anything other than water, the phlegm from the drink sticks to the saliva in my throat causing difficulty to swallow
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience, and I will help with your query.A viral infection can cause broncho-constriction,impaired respiration with shortness of breath,this may be added on to the basic problem of asthma.The viral infection may also cause Myocarditis which may be responsible for the elevated heart rate.A false positive d-Dimer test may occur in upto 40% of the cases..I would suggest that you take complete bed rest for a few days till the fatigue and the other problems settle down.Getting an evaluation for the throat problem will help,antibiotics for secondary infection(preferably Augmentin,a combination of Amoxicillin and Clauvanate)would probably help along with decongestants and NSAIDs.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor