Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have recently had a bone scan after months of bilateral…

Customer Question
Hi, I have recently...

Hi, I have recently had a bone scan after months of bilateral groin pain that has been worsening over time and is much worse at night. The report did not really find anything that would correlate to the pain I have been having and I am wondering if someone else would be able to look at the pictures for me and just see that nothing has been missed. Thanks Debbie

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Nothing makes it better or worse, it started off and on would be really random, stabbing pain in my groin, I notices some lumps and had a excision of some lymph nodes in Jan but only found reactive lymph nodes, I had been on antibiotics to clear any infections for a few weeks prior with no change, ,as pain became more consistent (everyday) and much worse (bad enough for me to go to the hospital) they started thinking perhaps a bone issue - Blood test show slightly elevated iron (174) and C reactive protien of 4.8.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really - Epstien Barr Virus, and SA positive (I had MSRA after having a curette after having a baby 17 years ago and had blood tranfusion) but apart from that no nothing significant. I am 43 year old female - fit and healthy, I live on an organic fruit and vegie farm in rural Australia and exercise regularly I have lost about 8 - 10 kg in the last 5 months without trying, height 157, weight 48kg,

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/20/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Do you have the pictures available? It should be fairly obvious if an area "lights up" on the scan...

I do, see attached, Pain is bilateral groin and pubic bone region. Blood tests show high iron levels back for past 2 years. Thanks Debbie

Hello-

Your scan shows a few areas that "light up", but in places that would be expected -- like the joints of the spine, the sacral alae (the dark area on the hips), and tracer accumulation in the bladder.

If, for example, you had an insufficiency fracture in the pelvis or sacrum, there would have been a fairly obvious asymmetric area on the bone scan.

So, unfortunately, I'm not sure that this helps you too much. I certainly would want to have your doctor look further, potentially getting imaging of the pelvis and lumbar spine, with CT or MRI.