Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dr chip. I went to the doctor today for the frequent

Dr chip.I went to the...
Dr chip.I went to the doctor today for the frequent urination I have been having. My doctor had me do an urinalysis and he said everything looked fine. He still sent it off for a culture just to see. He also performed a physical and said everything was okay. When I was looking over my results of my ua though I noticed that it said I had trace-intact blood. What does this mean and why would my doctor nor mention that? I have provided a photo of the results and was wondering your opinion on it. I was prescribed antibiotics for this and was told that if it doesn't go away by next week that I should see an urologist. Just wondering your thoughts on this. Thanks in advamce.
3/19/2018

Hi

Trace intact basically is what we term clinically insignificant--doesn't mean anything

And the rest of the test can be negative even in the face of a urinary tract infection

The culture will determine if there is an infection but in your case I think that's what you have and the antibiotics should clear this

The other option would be an overactive bladder but that wouldn't be anything serious

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I shouldn't worry about blood being in my urine? And you still don't believe that it is anything serious?

If I were your doctor I would have said that urinalysis was normal

Nothing to worry about and nothing serious

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. Appreciate everything

Always glad to work with you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You also think the antibiotics will help with this. I was told everything was fine but I'm still going every 1.5-2 hours

I think the antibiotics will kick in in about 24 hours and all this will stop

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't get the antibiotics until tomorrow. But thank you again. I'm hoping that helps

I'm sure they will

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I again slept through the night until about 650 and woke up having to go and then went back to sleep for about an hour and a half and then woke up again having to go. The second time I went it was a steady stream but then about a minute after it was a very start and stop kind of urination. That has not happened before. What could that mean?

It might be an overactive bladder problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would the antibiotics help with that and how does that happen? I've never had this problem before until these past couple weeks

If it's overactive bladder the antibiotics wouldn't help

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you do for an overactive bladder?

We really aren't getting anywhere right now

I'm not at all certain it's an overactive bladder

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok my apologies. My mind is just racing again

I understand

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just got my antibiotic. levofloxacin 250mg. I've read these cam be dangerous and cause musle or nerve problems. Is that true and is it common? I don't want to take them if that could happen

Not at all common and I prescribe it frequently

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. So you think it is safe for me to start today?

Yes it is

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
One final question if possible. I have talked to you before about how I have a weird pressure in my left side. I don't knowing you remember or not but it has been going on for about a year now. I've had tests done and nothing was found but now that I am prescribed this antibiotic that could mess with tendons and nerves do you still think its fine to take even though I have been having this pain and pressure on my left side

I remember all that

No problem with that and your taking the levofloxacin

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you still believe it to be safe? I just am still a little confused as to why I was prescribed this if there was no infection.

I never said you didn't have an infection--I do think so

But it's safe for you to take

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But the ua came back with no infection

I told you that doesn't mean you don't have one

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just got the results of the culture and it also came back negative and my doctor said I could stop taking the antibiotics. I have not started them still but since the culture was negative is that mean that there is no infection and that I am okay to not take them. He did refer me to a urologist.

Then it's OK not to take them

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
since the culture was negative, there is no infection? Ever since the appointment it has seemed that the frequency has went away but I still catch myself thinking about it. Could this all point to just anxiety now?

I think it is just your anxiety

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you for everything. Sorry for all the questions.

No problem at all

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Even with the culture coming back negative could there still be a missed infection or does a culture essentially rile that out now?

I personally would still have given you a course of antibiotics

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
there still could be an infection?

Yes

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
How does it get past a urinalysis and culture?

I've seen it happen before and when I put the patient on antibiotics the symptoms stopped

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Do you think that it could just be placebo? And do you think i should still take the antibiotics? I'm still a little worried about the side effects of them.

No it their cases it wasn't placebo effect

Once more if I were your doctor I'd have you take the antibiotics

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
you don't believe these antibiotics will cause any of these tendon or nerve problems?

No I don't

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Would it be okay just b to take a couple days of the antibiotic to see if it clears up. I have noticed that the frequency has went down a lot. When it started I was going about 10-13 times a day. Now I am only gluing about 7-9. Is that a good sign without the antibiotics?

It's really hard for me to comment on that but try the antibiotics

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor