Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My right arm is really in pain for 2 days. I have been

My right arm is...

My right arm is really in pain for 2 days. I have been taking advil every four hours. It hurts from my shoulder to my fingers. Now I have little blisters or red bug bites near my shoulder.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

A little ...maybe lumpy near my wrist. It hurts more if I touch the skin or if I move my arm.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Gee, I have so many problems....diverticulosus,,,,had an absys in my abdomen....have ventricular ectopy and atrial fib.

3/19/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

Have you had any numbness in the same areas?

Any weakness?

How old are you?

I am 74 years old and an artist or painter. I illustrate books every day with that right hand.
I am sweating profusely at night and am in pain.
are you still there?

OK.

I would think one of two things.

The issue with the blisters and red bug bites on your shoulder -- seem to make "shingles" a possibility:

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/index.html

This is classic -- nerve pain which radiates (down into the arm in your case) followed by an eruption of a red rash in the same area as the pain.

It would be helpful to see your doctor to get this evaluated.

They may prescribe antiviral medications for you, if it is indeed shingles.

The other possibility is that this is a "pinched" nerve in the neck -- cervical radiculopathy, which would be evaluated with a MRI of the cervical spine.

I thought that may be it.
is that the only thing it could be?
I should go to the er?

It would be important to see your doctor right away, because the antiviral medications are most effective if started within 3 days of the symptom onset.

Which leaves you with one day to go.

Best of luck.

I forgot to mention that I have spinal stenosis in my neck area

This may not technically be an emergency, but you would either want to discuss with your primary care doctor (who can then prescribe the medication) or see a doctor in urgent care today.

Spinal stenosis at the C5-6, or C6-7 level can cause similar symptoms.

but what about the red raised marks...is that a coincidence?

The raised red marks make me think more shingles -- and the fact that this rash happened just after the pain started makes shingles more likely than the spinal stenosis issue.

Because of that, your doctor would start an antiviral medication for 7 days, to help lessen the amount of pain, the amount of skin lesions, and prevent post-herpetic neuralgia.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon