Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m 15 years old and Ive had on and off sharp/aching right…

I’m 15 years old and...
I’m 15 years old and Ive had on and off sharp/aching right sided chest pain when I touch my chin to my chest or when I tilt my head in a awkward position , it does not hurt to breathe or do any physical activity , I have no other symptoms such as shortness of breath, fever or cough etc. . This Has been going on for 6 weeks now and I just want it to go away , I need an answer :(
3/19/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Thank you doc

Please Can you tell me if you do some kind of activity?
what is your weight?
Have you received any trauma?
have you taken any medication?

I am 137 pounds , I have not received no trauma that I remember, i have taken ibuprofen before but the pain goes away and comes back
I exercise regularly but it does not hurt my chest in any way whatsoever

Do you do any sports activity?

Do you use the PC a lot?

I lift weights , and I do use the computer a lot

Dear friend, for the symptoms that you describe very well, in fact it is a condition called intercostal neuralgia, just below each ribs from the neck and all the ribs run nerves, which by the effect of contraction of the muscles intercostal during breathing are compressed and the usual efforts to get up from the bed or chair and even when lifting objects increases its contraction with the consequent compression of the nerves generating this pain and inflammation characteristic of the area, can extend to the affected arm as a crash or to the stomach the cause of this pain in young people like you should be inactivated, by bad positions, by traumatism, in your case when compressing the chest with the movement of the cervical spine that also must be weakened generates irritation of the nerves. now this is temporary but needs medication and rest, should not lift any heavy object. So you should not be alarmed but stress and anxiety make it worse since it is nerves that are affected.

The best treatment is physical activity, such as yoga, pilates that involves stretching or any any frequent sports, avoiding staying in the same position for long hours, for example sitting in front of the desk. Since all this prevents muscle contractures from occurring, avoiding neural compression. I suggest you do a regular activity, or look in Youtube cervical and lumbar spine exercises for you to do daily at least 5 minutes 3 times a day. or for every 2 hours of being on the computer you must perform 10 min of exercises

I suggest the following medical treatment with analgesic such as Diclofenac 50 mg or ibuprofen 200mg (1) one tablet every 8 hours for 5 days in addition to a muscle relaxant such as Cyclobenzaprine 10 mg (1) one tablet at night for 10 days this will relieve symptoms but should reduce stress

Do you have any doubt?

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

That sounds kind of right , How come I have no pain when I exert force or do any activity that involves my chest ?

You are young, and the body tolerates the effort, but being in an inadequate position compresses the nerve, to generate pain you have to make effort involving axial load. for example, raise with your arms while standing some important weight.

any doubt?

I do lift weights upward and it does not hurt the right side of my chest what so ever though

It is probably a tolerated weight. and sure when doing it, you will have full extension of the body, but if you put the weight by lifting the weights in front of the chest, it generates an axial load on the chest and will generate pain, as the spine and chest will bend forward

Are you referring to a bench press ?

not for example Lifting dumbbell forward

If I do have this condition will it ever resolve on its own :(

Yes, it will be resolved by making the recommendations in the regular physical activity

Do you have any other doubt?

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

I have not doubt , do you recommend that I go and get a second opinion from a nearby hospital so they can also see what’s going on ?
How long do you think this pain will last since it has been 6 weeks so far

yes, a second opinion is very good, you will be informed that it is an intercostal neuritis or Costochondritis that is the same.

This pain can last for months if the causes that trigger the pain are not treated or corrected.

Edgar Rubio Villegas
Alright , thank you for your time and I will be heading over to the doc as soon as I can , god bless you

Its has been a pleasure.

take care.