Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was to use clobetasol propionate for vaginal sorness, told…

I was to use...

I was to use clobetasol propionate for vaginal sorness, told by pharmacist only use a small amount...like the end of a eraser...but I now have anal itching a a red bumpy rash near anus and outer vagina area....told not to use in larger area...I don't know if the rash is caused from using vagisil or excema? can you help me...

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

thyroid meds Levorthyroxin? spelling and clonazepam, have not had trouble with them

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Bothered with vaginitis off and on...78years old...do not want to try estrogen...

3/19/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This could be due to using Clobetasol propionate or de novo, which means it could have just occurred without any cause. The rash seems to be due to a fungal infection. I do not think this is eczema, since this is a very odd site for eczema to occur, and individuals who are prone to eczema often know when and where their eczema will occur. Eczema occurs more like an induration or thickening of the skin rather than bumps or a rash.

I will suggest that you stop using the Clobetasol for a few days. Also, keep the area dry and clean and apply an anti-fungal ointment like Clotrimazole twice a day for 7 days. I will also suggest that you take sitz baths twice a day which means that you will need to sit in a tub of warm water with an antiseptic like Chlorhexidine or Betadine mixed in it (1 or 2 ounces).

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I have not used the clobetasol yet as was told to use a small amount and I need to cover vagina and anus and rash that is spreading...the clobetasol is 0.05% is that considered low dose...they told me it was very potent use with caution....

That changes my answer quite a bit since I thought you had been using the Clobetasol.

Steroid creams can often cause fungal infections. If you have not used it and since your doctor has recommended it, this might be an allergic rash that s/he is suspecting. You can try to use the cream on the area and see if that works. Yes, it is a potent cream but you can use it over the rash. It will not burn your skin if that is what you are worried about. Potency merely means that it will work effectively and that you do not have to apply much for the desired effects, it does not mean you do not apply on the area it is required to be applied on.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor