Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If someone has shingles can they pass on chickenpox to

If someone has shingles...

If someone has shingles can they pass on chickenpox to someone else? Basically, If an adult has shingles, can they pass it or chickenpox to a child that had chickenpox in the past and could then transfer to children that haven't had chickenpox? Ordinarily, I wouldn't be concerned but one of the children that have never had chickenpox goes in for hip and femur surgery shortly, is in pain and needs this surgery and I don't want to risk her catching chickenpox.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

Help track what?

3/19/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, in this scenario, does the person with shingles have active skin lesions as of now? And how old is the child who has never had chicken pox and is scheduled for surgery? Has this child been vaccinated for chicken pox yet?

The person with Shingles went to the doctor on Friday and was diagnosed. She is saying that she isn't contagious anymore but it's only been a few days which is why I am concerned. My daughter that has never had shingles turned 16 last month. She has a low immune system and weighs approx 98lb. She had two big surgeries last year and another in February this year and another in 10 days. She is up to date on her required shots. I'm sorry, I don't know if the chickenpox vaccine comes into that category.

Thank you for that information. I understand your concerns. Shingles and chicken pox are both caused by the same virus, varicella-zoster virus (VZV). I am actually a pediatrician, so I can tell you that being up to date at her age means she did receive her chicken pox vaccine already, since it is routinely given at 12-15 months of age. As long as the person with shingles keeps the affected skin covered with clothing and no one who is not immune does not come into direct contact with the affected skin, there is no risk of contagiousness. Since your daughter is already vaccinated, there is also no need for concern about her catching the the VZV, since she is effectively protected.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Thank you. However, if the person isn't keeping covered and actually slept with the child that had chicken pox. Could they transfer it. I'm sorry to be a pain.

No need to apologize at all. For your daughter, because of her vaccination status, there is still no need for concern, even if she came into contact with the person with shingles. She has protection from the vaccine. Anyone else who has not been vaccinated and has never had chicken pox would be at risk. I hope that provides useful reassuring information. Have I addressed your concerns to your satisfaction? Any other questions I can help with?

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
I appreciate your help. Thank you so much :)