Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have std symptoms, but tested negative for the main ones.

Customer Question
I have std symptoms...

I have std symptoms, but tested negative for the main ones. hve been treated for chlamydia, gonnorhea, but still have burning in penis and testicles.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

Burning since about February 26. Took the azithromycin at the clinic the day I got tested which was about 6 days after I started feeling symptoms. Went to a seperate urgent care facilty who treated me with the gonnorhea shot, doxycycline for 14 days (still taking, 4 more days to go) and flagyl. Burning is still there

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/19/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sabina, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Sabina
Dr. Sabina, Doctor

Hello and welcome! I'm Dr. Sabina and I look forward to helping you with your question today. I'll be back in just a moment with my reply.

I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing burning symptoms in the genitals despite antibiotics. For your symptoms, the most common STD causes are: gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomonas and mycoplasma genitalium, and more rarely ureaplasma urealyticum.

- It sounds like you have received adequate treatment for gonorrhea (the antibiotic injection and azithromycin), you should have received both of these the first day at the STD clinic, and it sounds like you also got the injection at the urgent care clinic as well (hopefully this was the 2nd shot you got and not the first time?). This is important because we are seeing more strains of gonorrhea bacteria that are becoming resistant to other antibiotics.

- You are also on good treatment for chlamydia (azithromycin and the doxycycline will cover this).

- Trichomonas is a very common but undertreated STD that can cause your symptoms, but the Flagyl you are taking will treat this, so not to worry as you are on proper treatment.

- Mycoplasma genitalium can cause these symptoms but is hard to diagnose. The azithromycin should have covered this, however one option is to add 400mg MOXFLOXACIN once daily for 7 days if your symptoms persist due to this bacteria.

- The doxycycline also should cover ureaplasma infections, but again moxifloxacin is an alternative treatment.

So based on the above, you are on the right treatment for the most common infections that we know cause your symptoms. However since your symptoms haven't improved, there may be a concern that you have a bacteria that is resistant to the antibiotics and should be treated with a different one (like moxifloxacin for mycoplasma or ureaplasma) or repeat an antibiotic (like ceftriaxone, the injection for gonorrhea). Some people need to have even higher than usual doses of ceftriaxone injection if they have one of the drug-resistant strains of gonorrhea.

Therefore the next best steps are:

1) definitely notify your medical providers that your symptoms have persisted. They will need to repeat the tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia and also send out for a urine culture to look for all the bacteria above and see if they are resistant to the antibiotics you received. They should specifically look for mycoplasma, ureaplasma and trichomonas if you weren't tested for these before. This step is very important to getting you the right treatment and helping your symptoms

2) consider changing your antibiotic regimen as the one you have now isn't working for you. Please continue finishing whatever remaining antibiotics you have left to take.

3) consider testing for herpes. You said you were tested negative for the main ones, I am assuming you are including syphilis and HIV. Sometimes herpes can mimic other STDs without the typical herpes blister outbreak. So this is something to bring up with your medical provider

I hope this was helpful for you. Please remember Just Answer is for educational information and not medical advice. Let me know if I can help you further with your question. I hope you are able to feel better very soon!