Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am concerned about some symptoms I've been having. I'm…

Customer Question
I am concerned about...

I am concerned about some symptoms I've been having

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I'm wondering if it's possible that I have a Vesicovaginal Fistula my symptoms have been going on for years but getting worse

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

It's a dripping very minor leaking feeling - frequent urination - stomach discomfort

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

Sometime nausea but that could just be nerves from getting worked up about the issue it's been keeping me up going to the bathroom all the time gets worse around the time of my period I went to a Uro Gyno she took blood work did urodynamics and ultra sounds all came back normal than she gave me URO-MP in case it was acting up I took the pill at night towards the end of my period - the pill didn't help but when I woke up the tampon was literally soaked blue - not just a little - the entire thing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
I do not have children and have never had a hysterectomy or trauma. The only thing I can think of that could potentially be related is that I tried Paragard IUD in 2010. The doctor had a difficult time inserting the IUD - I left the doctors office in a great deal of pain and a couple weeks later the IUD fell out.
3/19/2018
Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

If the tampon you inserted in your vagina was completely soaked and blue when you removed it, that is concerning for a vesicovaginal fistula. That being said, VV fistulas are very rare and usually occur wholly in the context of some kind of birth or surgical trauma. Difficult IUD placements are fairly common and usually the bladder is unaffected (it's more related to the cervix not opening enough to allow the IUD to pass up into the uterus) so it would be very unlikely that the IUD caused this. Another possibility is that you leak urine from your urethra (bladder opening, which is where our urine is supposed to come from) and enough of the urine passed into the vagina (just externally, through the vaginal opening, because urine does run over the vaginal opening once it's out of the urethra - see pic here) that it dyed the tampon blue.

The best way to rule out a VV fistula for sure is a special type of CT scan called a CT urogram - they will basically inject dye in the bladder and see if the dye exits into the vagina through an abnormal connection between the bladder and the vagina. This could be worth asking for if you want to be absolutely sure.

One thing worth mentioning is that I did not urinate with the tampon in as I just put the tampon in before going to sleep. Would that mean that it was less likely a leak from my urethra into vagina? What test would they need to perform to rule out that type of leak? And if that is what is going on - is it repairable?

A CT urogram is the best way to evaluate for VV fistula - and yes, they are very repairable.

It is possible that you leak urine unknowingly, in your sleep, and some of it came enough into contact with the vaginal opening to saturate the tampon.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you and I wish you all the best.