Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has lost 20+ pounds in the past 18 months for no…

Customer Question
My husband has lost...

My husband has lost 20+ pounds in the past 18 months for no reason, has a cough the lingers. He had had CCT's, scopes, seen a hematologist, pulmonary specialist, immune

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Sorry I didn't mean to send that yet because there's more. He has been scoped, tested and on and on. Recenttly he had knee replacement and developed internal bleeding. His hemoglobin is at 9.6. and his white ccount is elevated. He is tired, lost some appetite and weak.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My concerns are his anemia cough and weigh loss. Do you think that the Mayo Clinic is the next steep. The doctors in Orlando are stumped.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/19/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Unintentional weight loss is some times really a dilemma, and its difficult to find an exact cause sometime despite extensive work up.

As you mentioned that he has been scanned and scoped also, which means most of the diagnostic screening tests have been done with no clear cause identified.

As per standard guidelines, if after extensive work up no cause is found, a watchful monitoring for 1 to 6 months is done, and careful attention is made to diet history, possibility of psychosocial causes, and new manifestations of occult illness.

Did he have a PET-CT done?

I don't think so . I assume that's different from just a CT Scan
No, I just wantto know if the Mayo Clinic can shed light on his problems
In other words, should we make the trip to Rochester

Yes that's different from CT scan.

Its a kind of metabolic scan, using CT as imaging mode, but it is very sensitive to pick up abnormal areas in body (like areas of infection, inflammation and cancer).

Its not available everywhere, but it is a very helping modality in difficult to diagnose cases.

Yes, Mayo is one of the best areas where he can be assisted in a better way and can get all kinds of fairly advanced and novel tests.

They have PET-CT also.

In the given scenario, at this stage I would say, "go ahead" for Mayo.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for his good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Thanks for visiting JA!

Do Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service to give me credit.

https://jacms.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Any queries/clarifications --- do ask.