Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MYASTHENIA GRAVIS TWO YEARS AGO. THE…

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH...

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MYASTHENIA GRAVIS TWO YEARS AGO. THE MOST RECENT MED I WAS ON WAS CELLCEPT. I WAS REQUIRED LAB WORK WEEKLY. I AM NOW ANEMIC. MYCOPHENOLATE MAY CAUSE PURE RED CELL APLASIA. I CAN SEND YOU THE RESULTS OF MY BLOOD TESTS, OCTOBER 2017 TO MARCH 5, 2018. AFTER STARTING THE MED I BEGAN FEELING TIRED, WEAK, LIGHT HEADED, ETC , I AM SEEKING AN DIAGNOSIS. THANK YOU. *****: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

THE LAB WORK CONSISTS OF LYMPHOCYTE, PLATELET, HGB, HCT, RBC,HGB A1C,BUN, BUN/CREA, MAGNESIUM, PLUS 12 OTHERS WHICH ARE NORMAL.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I AM 81 YEARS OLD AND WAS NORMAL BEFORE CONTACT MG. I AM DIABETIC WHICH I HAVE MANAGED WELL FOR 8 YEARS. I GOT AN EKG LAST WEEK AS PART OF ANNUAL VISIT TO MY CARDIOLOGIST AND WAS TOLD I HAD NO PROBLEMS INCLUDING NO CHEST PAIN. IT IS ABOUT DIET, EXERCISE, AND CONTROLLING STRESS. I GET MY EXERCISE BY DOING YARD WORK EVERYDAY, BUT AM NOT ABLE TO DO AS MUCH NOW DUE TO THE ANEMIA.

3/19/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Can you post/attach CBC result here so that I can review that?

I HAVE MY RESULTS ON LINE FROM THE PORTAL OF MY HOSPITAL. I CAN SEND THEM TO YOU IF I HAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS/ JOHN

I can not share my E-mail id at this platform as per website policy.

Please take a snap of the results or attach them here for review.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Phone call session started
I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO SNAP. JOHN

Calling software isn't working, so we will communicate here in the chat mode.

You can take a picture of the results and attach them here.

Or if you have the results as a file, attach it here. You can see a CLIP picture above the text window, use it and attach the file.

I AM WAITING FOR YOUR CALL. I AM UNABLE TO SEND THE LAB RESULTS TO YOU AS REQUESTED. SORRY. JOHN
I SEE THAT YOU HAVE CONFIRMED MY PHONE CALL REQUEST, DO YOU STILL PLAN ON CALLING ME? JOHN

Can you tell me what was WBC count (total), Hemoglobin, Platelets along with MCV/MCH ?

Were the Retics count done?

MY WIFE JUST CAME HOME, I THINK SHE KNOWS HOW TO DO THE SNAP. STAND BY. JOHN

I am waiting.

Take your time.

MY WIFE SAID SHE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DO SNAP. SORRY. THE RESULTS ARE FROM OCTOBER THROUGH MARCH. IT WOULDN'T BE THAT DIFFICULT TO COMMUNICATE OVER THE PHONE AND SEND THE SNAP LATER WHEN I FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN DO IT. JOHN

Do you have the results saved in your computer?

Off course this will be in either word or pdf format as a file and you can just attach this file for my review like you attach it in email.

Its as simple as an email attachment.

WHAT IS THE ADDRESS?

You don't have to send it to email. Just follow/click the link I am sending for your understanding and help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

STILL UNABLE TO DO WHAT YOU ASK. JOHN

Did you click the link above?

I WAS UNABLE TO USE THE LINK YOU SENT . IT SEEMS WE ARE AT AN IMPASS. I KNOW YOU NEED THE RESULTS, BUT IF I CAN'T GET THEM TO YOU WE NEED TO TAKE A BREAK . MY COMPUTER IS NOT SET UP TO DO THE THINGS YOU ARE ASKING OF ME. JOHN
I AM CONSIDERING TERMINATING THIS SESSION. WHAT OPTIONS DO I HAVE TO GET THE ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS? THE BOT***** *****NE OF MY REQUEST IS WHO DO I NEED TO SEE FOR A DIAGNOISIS

Okay

Red cell aplasia can happen with Cellcept, and many other drugs also.

First of all we need to find out type of anemia you have, as this will help us decide further work up plan to reach the exact diagnosis. At this point, it would be too early to say that red cell aplasia is the cause for your anemia.

Now for the work up or investigations to find out the cause of anemia we need to look at few things in your blood work.

1. Hemoglobin levels

2. Other cell counts like White cells and Platelets

3. Red cell indices (sizes) which include MCV and MCH

4. Retics Counts

These basic lab will help the physician decide further labs (if needed) to find out the cause.

For example low MCV and MCH means iron deficiency, so iron profile will be needed.

High MCV and MCH means B12 deficiency so its levels will be needed.

Normal WBC and Platelet count, Low retics count favor Red Cell aplasia.

Your best help in this regard will come from a Hematologist, as he is the best person to investigate this problem and manage accordingly.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.