Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife was just treated with a shot of ceftriaxone and an…

My wife was just...

My wife was just treated with a shot of ceftriaxone and an oral dose of azithromycin by her GYN. I understand that these are treatments for gonorrhea and chlamydia. I know abpout the drugs because I got the bill.There was no Dx on the bill. I confronted her and she said she got the infection from leaving a tampon too long.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Questions: 1.Does her story make sense? 2.Does her doctor have to report this in NYS to the department of health?3. If so, do they have to notify me? I am not aware of any of her symptoms. I need a doctor who knows NYS health regs.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not now

3/19/2018
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon

Hello -

If this was a treatment for Chlamydia - sex partners should also be treated (as presumably if one of the sex partners has the infection, you give give it back and forth to each other -- hence, both should be treated at the same time).

Below is the list of reportable conditions. Chlamydia and Gonococcal infection are on the list, though not an urgent reporting issue.

https://www.health.ny.gov/forms/instructions/doh-389_instructions.pdf

Treatment for Staphylococcal toxic shock -- a serious infection caused by a tampon in too long would be generally with different types of antibiotics.

So if this treatment is for Chlamydia or Gonorrhea, the person affected should notify all sexual partners and the need for antibiotic treatment for them as well.

My wife has been seeing other men. I am negative for STD.
neither her OBGYN or NYS has to notify me.Is this correct?

OK.

If you were sexually active in the recent past with her, you should be taking the antibiotic regimen as well.

There is no legal obligation to notify you, but a moral and health obligation to notify you.

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon