Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How could 5MG of prednisone daily for arthritis affect

Customer Question
How could 5MG of...

How could 5MG of prednisone daily for arthritis affect someone would has no other health problems

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Arthritis in shoulders and elbows and hips. He first gave me cortisone but ask me to try prednisone which is more systemic and it seems to help.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I’m 72 and take no prescribed medicine and have no issues other than joint soreness. Annual physical reveal nothing with to be concerned. This daily prednisone question is only a self diagnosis because it seems to work and relieve the discomfort. In the daytime I have few pains but at night I find it hard to get comfortable only to wake up and turn over to a different position.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I know you’re not going to give any advice that’s concrete other than, tell all of this to your GP. Sometimes it’s hard to get an appointment that meshes with my work schedule. Just curious about a daily regimen of prednisone.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
3/19/2018
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The usual dose of glucocorticoids or prednisone we prescribe for arthritis is 5 to 10 mg per day, which is deemed to be a low dose and long-term use at this dose usually means 6 months of usage. Most physicians prescribe prednisone in short durations just to bring the inflammatory phase down and supplement with an NSAID or another DMARD.

However, sometimes it is necessary to keep patients on a low daily dose of prednisone to keep the symptoms in check. At this dose, the usual side effects that I usually tell my patients to be wary of are:

Increased risk of infections - wound, chest, urinary tract etc.

Increased risk of developing diabetes or hyperglycemia, worsening of diabetes or increase in requirement of antiglycemic agents.

Increased risk of osteoporosis, decrease in bone mineral density.

Increased risk of developing gastritis or stomach upsets.

Worsening of heart disease.

These are some of the risks to look out for when on low dose prednisone. The medication is thus only prescribed when its benefits outweigh these risks and the patient understands all of the implications.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Please let me know if you have followup questions.