Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A I've recently asked you a question about tonsillitis and…

Hi Dr.A I've recently asked you...
Hi Dr.A
I've recently asked you a question about tonsillitis and amoxyclave.
Now everything looks fine, but one my tonsil hurts when I swallow saliva or touch it by tongue.
What should I do with it?
3/19/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi Jon.

How long has it been since you finished the amoxyclave?

Any fevers or chills? Are you eating regular food?

Its now 5 days since I finished amoxyclave. It hurt all the time. Not much, but, as I sing on regular basis, I should be very carefull in everything related to my throat.
One day I had 37.2C and upper part of my throat started hurt, so I started local antiseptic and it dissapeared in one day. But tonsil started to hurt when I was still on amoxyclav and remain

Do you notice that the tonsil is bigger than the one not hurting?

Sometimes the pain takes a little longer to resolve completely. You may feel a lot better, but the pain can sometimes persist. I usually say give it 1-2 weeks after finishing the antibiotic, and if it still persists it might be good to see your doctor again to get a full exam.

No I does not seem bigger. It looks like smth like hole remain in place, where white thing was...
And I took bacterial exam at the beginning of tonsillitis. I've got negative result on it. There was no result yet when I asked first question

OK that is good that it looks about the same size. Tonsils often have small holes so that is likely normal. At this point I would just see if the pain gets better over the course of the next week or so. Like I said, it can sometimes take some time for the pain to resolve. If it persists for more than 2 weeks I would see an ENT to get a full exam. Hope that helps.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Thank you