Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had GI issues on and off for a year now, starting…

I have had GI issues...
I have had GI issues on and off for a year now, starting with altered bowel movements (increased volume). When I lie down and press on my left side I can feel/hear major gurgling, as if there is gas and fluid trapped. I am very concerned by this. Could this be a normal variant of the GI? All my lab and imaging tests have come back normal. The attached file shows the area where there is the gurgling when I press or breath deeply. Left upper quadrant.
3/19/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Which imaging tests did you have?

Did doctor prescribe any medicine?

How is your bowel habit?

I had an ultrasound, CT scan, upper endoscopy (normal biopsies), blood work, no medicine prescribed. Bowel habit has been different for last year, on and off increased volume and softer stools, sometime diarrhea, sometimes abdominal pain.
just FYI, I have been normal for up to 5 months at a time, and when I traveled to France my GI tract was perfect.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
The feeling can be due to gas.
It can be a normal variant as all your tests have come normal.
Food often play a part.
Acid production in stomach can be a factor too.
But your tests came out normal.
IBS or irritable bowel syndrome, Indigestion can be factor.
We swallow air during talking, taking food.
Taking food slowly can prevent air swallowing.
Daily exercise can help to prevent gas formation and helps in absorption of gas.
Some dietary measures help to control gas.
Vegetables like cabbage, radish and beans can produce excess gas.
Excess sugar or sweets can cause gas production.
You can make a diary of food causing the symptoms more and withhold the selective food for time being and see whether it helps or not.
Please take plenty of water.
Avoid coffee, tobacco, alcohol, fried fatty food, carbonated drink etc.
Avoid chewing gums too, if you do any.
Please try to reduce anxiety and tension.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

it doesn't necessarily mean that I have gastroparesis?

No it does not mean gastroparesis.

just to be sure, this is a normal variant likely due to diet or eating habits? Would gastroparesis have periods of time when it felt normal?

Gastroparesis would have other symptoms like vomiting, changes in sugar level, weight loss etc.
Gurgling on pressure alone does not mean gastroparesis.

It is likely normal variant from diet, habits.

Have you treated gastroparesis patients before?

Yes.

they typically are very sick with vomiting? And if you palpated someone with this symptom, you would not be worried?

They were very sick.
No, just feeling like this on palpation, I would not worry.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Thank you so much! I feel very re-assured!
Oh, I also forgot to say that I have a much reduced appetite, and I am concerned about that. Could that be related to gastroparesis, do you have patients that come with reduced appetite. It seems weird to me

Loss of appetite is one symptom but there should be other symptoms like fullness after eating a little, pain, nausea, vomiting etc.
There can be vomiting of undigested food which was taken a few hours earlier & could not pass due to paresis.

Hi Dr. Su S,
I do have intermittent nausea and pain (not severe) but mostly loss of appetite. No food left in stomach after 12 hours during endoscopy. No vomiting. I do not have fullness after eating a little, how consistent is that finding for gastroparesis?
how consistent is vomiting?

As endoscopy did not find any food & it came out normal, I feel you need not worry. Normal person may feel nausea from a number of insignificant causes.

Thank you!