Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 6 year-old daughter developed the following symptoms:

Monday : took flu vaccination Thursday...
My 6 year-old daughter developed the following symptoms: Monday : took flu vaccination
Thursday : sore throat
Friday : sore throat got better
Saturday : cough with phlegm, unproductive cough, breathing congested (given Flumacil, Prospan cough syrup and mucosolvan)
Sunday : developed slight fever at night, racing heart rate, vomited three times (given paracetamol)
Monday : racing heart rate, unable to hold food - vomit shortly after ingestion. Able to take little quantity of plain water (given Flumacil, Chloramine, paracetamol and singulair)What are the possible causes and what can I do? How long will this last?
3/19/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Do you still need help?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am waiting for your reply. Thanks.

this has nothing to do with the flu shot

This is a separate virus

I would definitely get her checked out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it is viral, we would have to let the virus run the course right?

Well you need to rule out secondary bacterial infection coming on too

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We brought her to a doctor today and she was only given Flumacil, Chloramine and Singulair - which only treats the symptoms. No help or advise was given on her inability to take food and her racing heart rate (which cause discomfort and probably nausea). Is there anything we can do about her inability to take food and racing heart rate?

I would just try to get her to drink fluids

that is more important for now

eating a bland diet should help

BRAT diet

banana

rice

applesauce

toast

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The racing heart rate (140 per min) is a normal symptom of viral infection? and there is nothing I can do about it?

No that is likely from the meds too

and that indicates dehydration

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks

was this helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
largely, the only puzzling part was the racing heart rate came on before the vomiting, so it is unlikely due to dehydration?
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. I’ve reviewed you above previous dialogue but see that the other physician has opted out? Do you still require assistance? May I be of service?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My 6 year-old daughter developed the following symptoms:Monday : took flu vaccination
Thursday : sore throat
Friday : sore throat got better
Sunday : developed slight fever atnight, racing heart rate, vomited three times (given paracetamol)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For your advice please especially on my daughter's inability to ingest and her racing heart rate.

Thank you for that information. With all of the above symptoms your daughter has been having, sounds like she is experiencing some sort of upper respiratory viral infection, i.e. the common cold. Though she received a flu vaccine just prior to her illness symptoms, the timing was coincidental and not the cause of any sickness. The congestion, phlegm and coughing can all cause vomiting easily in a young child. Phlegm and congestion often trigger a gag reflex in the mouth/throat, and swallowed mucus and sometimes cause stomach irritation as well. Prolonged fits of coughing can easily generate pressure on the abdomen and set off a gag reflex too, leading to more vomiting. The increase in heart rate may have multiple causes. While I agree with the previous doctor, if she were dehydrated from profuse vomiting, her heart rate might become "racing" but from your description, it does not sound like she has vomiting sufficiently to cause so much fluid loss so as to dehydrate her. As long as she is able to hold down small, frequent sips of fluids and is still urinating at least 1-2x every 12 hours or so, dehydration is unlikely. More than likely fever and the adrenaline from the constant coughing and multiple episodes of vomiting may have pushed up her heart rate temporarily, or each time you've been checking. My other concern, however, would be that if she is having any more frequent episodes of rapid, shallow, irregular or labored breathing, that she could be developing a pneumonia or lung infection, which would explain the vomiting, fever, cough and increased heart rate. Should that be the case, I do recommend you seek medical attention sooner than later. I understand it is about 4am in Singapore now as I type this message which is 1pm in Arizona, USA where I am located, so should you have any further questions when you read this, please feel free to contact me. As long as her breathing is not as I just described above, then she probably just has a bad cold and can be observed at home for another day or so. The key is to provider her temperature control with fever reducing medicine and keep her well hydrated with small frequent sips of an appropriate pediatric electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte. As she vomits less, try to re-introduce foods slowly and in smaller quantity. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. Will try to give her frequent but small sips of fluid. Will plain water or coconut water do? Perhaps adding salt in the plain water? She’s still experiencing frequent tummy ache.

I would recommend Pedialyte or any over the counter electrolyte solution for children. A sports drink like Gatorade is not as good, but acceptable. A pinch of salt mixed with water is better than plain water. I would not use coconut water because it does have a laxative effect and I would not want her to have any diarrhea. I hope she recovers soon!

Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD