Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can fecal enemas treat irritable bowel syndrome? My doctor…

Customer Question
Can fecal enemas treat...

Can fecal enemas treat irritable bowel syndrome?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

My doctor diagnosed the treatment, told me it basically isn't curable. I'm taking lexapro, metoprolol, and flecainide, nothing for the IBS.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I can't think of anything.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Yes, this can help in substantial number of patients.

It has been seen that large intestine may have altered bacteria in the IBS. Fecal enema restores the balance of the normal gul flora which relieves and resolve the IBS symptoms. Please read this meta analysis based on various studies done in this regard;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5473130/

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.