Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I used Hydrozole for 5 days twice a day to treat a skin

irritation on penis glans. Now...
I used Hydrozole for 5 days twice a day to treat a skin irritation on penis glans. Now, weeks later, I have wrinkled/chapped glans with splotches of redness and inflammation post masturbation. What kind of treatment would a dermatologist recommend?
3/19/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, does the involved skin feel itchy or painful? Any bleeding? Can you attach a picture to this chat thread for review?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Richard! Good to have you advising me. I appreciate you. No itching, no pain, just severe inflammation/ irritation after masturbation, which I have now stopped as I am in a healing process. Attached photo. First photo showing dryness and redness. Second photo is just the prominent wrinkles that are present at all times.
Thank for that information. I’ve reviewed your pictures. It does look like a significant amount of irritation and chaffing. I do not believe it involves yeast or fungus. There may be some mild skin bacterial involvement. My recommendation would be as follows:
1. Find an over the counter antibiotic ointment, but something that does not include “neomycin” as an active ingredient as this causes more irritation in many people. Bacitracin is a good generic active ingredient. Apply 3x per day for 7-10 days to treat any topical bacteria.
2. Rather than Hydrozole which includes an anti fungal, see if you can find an ointment with hydrocortisone 1% only, apply 2x per day, separately from the bacitracin, for 7-10 days. This will reduce the redness and swelling.
3. Apply a good emollient moisturizer such as Aquaphor if available in Australia, otherwise Vaseline (petroleum jelly) will do fine, several times a day for 7-10 days, again separately from the above two, and especially after masturbation. This will treat the dryness and chaffing which will further reduce the inflammation. Follow these steps and your should see improvement within a few days. You can repeat the processs as needed.
Anything else I can help you with?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou Dr Han, It is significant irritation. I am the patient also who asked you about my short frenulum. I am getting the frenuloplasty surgery on Saturday (5 days away) so think the irritation could be attributed in some amount to the inflammation present in frenulum area.I am concerned about my use of the steroid cream, although only used for 5 days, I have found ever since the penis skin to be more fragile than ever, hopefully in time this will decrease. I am in Australia, so will pick up the bacitracin in a couple of days.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess sometimes the skin looks cracked and red if I let one drop of urine on it it goes crazy. I think I just have to keep it really dry. Although I guess my question is: how do I restore natural moisture to the glans? It seems they are just so dry and red.
See, nice to chat with you again. I’m glad you were able to get your frenuloplasty procedure scheduled so quickly. Your condition looks significantly better than the previous pictures I reviewed. Hydrocortisone 1% is a very mild topical steroid and while if used for an extended period of time, steroids can make thinly skinned areas even thinner and more friable, I do not think this is the case for you after such a short previous duration of use. Urine can definitely trigger more inflammation as the urea within the urine is a well known, significant irritant. The key to keeping the glans are hydrated well is very frequent application of moisturizer. When using any topical medications there, always use ointments, which hydrate, not creams, which tend to dry out. You can also soak the tip of you penis in a warm cup of water for 10-15 minutes daily, pat dry gently with a soft towel, do not rub, and immediately apply the Aquaphor or Vaseline. That will allow the glans to become water logged (like when your fingertips wrinkle after being in a pool or bathtub for a long time) and then be sealed in and unable to evaporate quickly by the Aquaphor or Vaseline. You should find this to be sufficient for hydration and likely even more effective after the frenuloplasty. Anything else I can help with?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou Dr, I guess my last question would be regarding the wrinkles you see in the 2nd photo above, which began about four months ago with general balanitis from poor hygiene combined with frenulum swelling and irritation from the breve. Do you think that after the frenuloplasty the glans will finally have a chance to heal these swelling scars?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm just trying to be hopeful about the scarring situation, what would be the typical time frame you see for balanitis scarring?

I understand. Yes, most likely after the frenuloplasty and removal of the tension pressure, the wrinkles should heal. I would not necessarily refer to them as "scarring" per se. I would give it on the order of 1-2 months for full healing and resolution. It might also be a good question to run by the urologist performing the procedure.

I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks dr Han, you’re the best. The areas that are wrinkled were actually the areas that had red inflammation, which I treated with Hydrozole for 5 days, which now led to the wrinkling. In your time as a Dr, have you seen reversal of such wrinkles from steriod damage ? Thanks so much again.

You're very welcome. And yes, I have seen plenty of skin changes where any wrinkles and inflammatory side effects have been fully reversed to normal healthy skin. Good luck with everything and feel free to request me anytime for any other health concerns!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even after four months of inflammation? Or does the time frame not matter once the source is eliminated ?
even after 4 months of inflammation. Once the source is eliminated proper healing can and will occur.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just don’t know if I have an infection or not. As the frenulum irritation began shortly AFTER an anxious period I applied a very chemically based hylaluronic acid (not a good idea) onto the glans to try and remove a broken capillary. I don’t know if my glans are irritated still from that time of contact dermatitis or if they frenulum is the culprit. The tests the DR did concluded they found a very small amount of bacteria in my urine. Do you think that that warrants using anti bacterial creams?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for long reply. Appreciate your help a lot Dr
Hello again. A small amount of bacteria in your urine as a male is probably a contaminant and not a sign of infection. The skin itself does not appear bacteriallu infected either, so no need to use any antibacterial cream. Your surgery date is close by so I would just moisturize only and wait for the procedure.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thanks Dr. last question I promise . I had an erection today, and my shaft skin appeared lighter and almost like a faded version of my normal skin. Like a layer has been removed. Could the frenulum irritation be causing the whole penis effects? It’s very strange. Also when touching it erect it becomes red much easier ( the shaft I mean).All I can do is hope all these problems fade after the surgery.!” They might not. Who knows
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your a great doc and would apprieciate you answering my final question . Much love
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Richard, I would really appreciate you answering my question :) apologies
The frenulum irritation is probably not causing any changes in the shaft color. I think at this point you may be looking too closely at subtle details of your penis skin. Try and wait until after the procedure and not look for a while and then see and I’m sure things will all be fine. Take care.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree. I think the inflammation has just caused a whole lot of different side effects over time. Hopefully the procedure and rest will fix this. Thanks Dr
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does general balanitis cause these kind of symptoms?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do u think Dr Han
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think these wrinkles will fade over time? Or will the constant friction of sex deepen them and cause scarring?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr Han I respect your opinion.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please come back
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD