Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

As you know I have a major fear of the "C" Word, and

Customer Question
As you know I have...
As you know I have a major fear of the "C" Word, and everything I feel I think is a lump. I was doing my self breast exam and I cant tell if what I am feeling is a lump or just tissue. It is right around between the middle of my armpit and my breast, like right above my breast. It feels oval and long and sometimes when I feel it it seems like it is going up and down and then sometimes it feels like it is sideways but more up and down. How can I tell if what I am feeling is just normal tissue or a lump
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/19/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

how can I help?

As you know I have a major fear of the "C" Word, and everything I feel I think is a lump. I was doing my self breast exam and I cant tell if what I am feeling is a lump or just tissue. It is right around between the middle of my armpit and my breast, like right above my breast. It feelsoval and long and sometimes when I feel it it seems like it is going up and down and then sometimes it feels like it is sideways but more up and down. How can I tell if what I am feeling is just normal tissue or a lump

when was your last mammogram?

I have not had a mammogram yet, plan on getting a physical and mammogram in May when I am able to take time off

That is the first step

physical exam is not reliable for cancerous tissue

but usually it is a hard mass

is this helpful?

somewhat, is there anyway to describe what I would be looking for. Example can a dangerous lump be oval in shape or is there a way to tell the difference between what is normal and what is not. I have poked myself there trying to determine what it feels like that now I am sore.
I will get back to you tonight
ok

Yes, they can be oval

but concerning masses are usually rock hard

Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 3 months ago

just click send to reply

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have more questions, just reply :)