Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 77 year old male and I fell on my last Wednesday and…

I'm a 77 year...

I'm a 77 year old male and I fell on my butt last Wednesday and my whole left cheek is black and blue. I have an appointment with the VA in two days and there is a firm lump the size of a golf ball. I wondered if I should do anything about it in the meantime.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?

I noticed it two days ago.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a valve replacement 7 years ago and I am taking Warfa rin now.

3/19/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Dear *****ient, this injury corresponds to a hematoma resulting from the trauma and that you are anticoagulated.
The initial measures is to place very cold compresses to generate vasoconstriction in the vessels that broke but with more than 5 days this is no longer useful.
In this case you should not suppress warfarin but you should have an ultrasound to see the size of the hematoma and make a decision.
If this lesion is growing red and hot you should not wait and should go to the emergency room, as a prophylactic antibiotic should be indicated for the antecedent of the heart valve.
For the moment I suggest you be careful when sitting on hard surfaces, try to sit on the uninjured side of the seat as this may cause more bleeding.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.

Edgar Rubio Villegas