Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My bottom is leaking. None of that it started about a year…

My bottom is leaking ...

My bottom is leaking

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None of that it started about a year ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have been taking fluxotine for 27 months

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello. I am Dr. Pennington. I am a colorectal surgeon.

What do you mean your bottom is leaking? Are you incontinent of stool or urine?

stool but sometimes clear fluid

How old are you? Have you had a colonoscopy?

I am 54 had no health issues

Have you had a colonoscopy?

no

Did you have children?

no children

Any surgery to the anus? Hemorrhoidectomy or anything?

no nothing

OK. Well, I would advise you to see a gastroenterologist or colorectal surgeon. You will need a colonoscopy, as it is recommended at age 50. This will give the most information, and you are due for one anyway. You should not have sphincter injury from childbirth or surgery. There are pelvic floor exercises that can really help with control issues.

What else can I help you with?

I am male

Oh, OK. Well, you still need a colonoscopy.

Tell me about the leakage. Any time? When passing gas? Just after bowel movements?

all the time sometimes worse than others

How much leakage. An entire BM or a little bit of staining?

various some days worse than others

Do you have normal bowel movements?

it never been a problem

OK. Well polyps can secrete mucus and cause leakage. Prolapsed hemorrhoids can also. Do you have access to a gastroenterologist or colorectal surgeon?

I would start with a colonoscopy.

no access

Do you have a primary care provider?

nhs

I am sorry. The best I can offer is advice. I would seek medical attention if something is wrong.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bowel-cancer-screening/Documents/Having-a-colonoscopy.pdf

You should be able to get a colonoscopy through the NHS. I worked at St.Marks in London in the past, and we did it all the time.

We work for stars, if this was helpful please rate the question with 5 stars.

Good luck to you. I will still be here if you have further questions.

is there no medication for this condition

Usually we suggest fiber. Like metamucil to assist with bowel movements. To make them more complete. You can give yourself a fleets enema. If the rectum is empty, you should not leak.

But, you need a standard screening colonoscopy, and I urge you to seek one.

ok thank you

Is there anything else?

We get credit for stars, rate this if you think it helped. We try to help all customers. I will still be here if you need anything, even after rating. Good luck and have a great day!

Connie Pennington

Thank you! Best of luck to you, and use that nhs!