Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Sure. I feel embarassed, but I guess it's better to ask

Sure. I feel...

Sure. I feel embarassed, but I guess it's better to ask instead of sitting here freaking out

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

4-5 months ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was diagnosed with having mersa

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't even asked my question yet..
3/19/2018
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer, and I'm a surgery fellow. What is your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not sure on the exact name, but the skin next to the cilitoris on just the right side is swollen. Like it you were to look you can tell right away that something isn't right it's very swollen and painful.

OK. And what's the connection with MRSA?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Over a month ago I had a outbreak in my pelvic/ vagina area and was put on a antibiotic. I'm not sure if what I had is related to this or not

OK. Was the previous outbreak similar--swelling, pain? Or did it look and feel different?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was different then this, but I guess I'm always worried it could be that
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My bad it wasn't letss. It was a staff infection I had sorry I know there different
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
mersa*
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I'm wondering if what I have could be serious ? Whatever it may or may not be.

No, it's fine. MRSA is just a particularly bad strain of staph. In what ways was it different?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The 1 on my pelvic was a round raised circle and the texture felt different and then I had open blisters( I'm not sure what to call them) on the outside of my vagina and they were oozing and they stung.What I have now is different because it's on 1 side in a different area and it's just swollen and painful

Soft tissue infections in the pelvic regions can be very painful and irritating, and occasionally serious. Do you have any other medical problems, specifically diabetes or obesity?

Sometimes swelling and pain can be the early stage of an abscess.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not sure what it's called. It's the skin that surrounds the cilitoris and the 1 side is normal and the other side is swollen like a small balloon sort of not as big
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm overweight. How would I know if it's a abscess? Isn't that serious? I wouldn't be able to see a Dr in person till friday and that's only if they have openings

An abscess is just a particular way that a bacterial infection can manifest. They are relatively easy to treat with drainage and antibiotics. They can be very painful.

Women can develop what's called a Bartholin's gland cyst, which when infected is an abscess, which is relatively common. But it sounds like what you're describing is a little higher up. Here's a drawing of where a Bartholin's gland abscess would be:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bartholin%27s+abscess&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiMsor9_ffZAhWQmeAKHeGuDJ0Q_AUICigB&biw=1350&bih=667#imgrc=oREAC4cNnHu7bM:

Is that where your swelling is?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I am describing is higher up. Occasionally it'll itch.

OK, that's good. It may be hard for you to tell, but does it feel like there's a pocket of fluid where the swelling is (it would feel like there's a hard wall or cyst under the tissue) or is the tissue there soft, without anything you can feel under it, just swollen?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's on the right side of the cilitoris. The skin flap that's on top sort of covering the cilitoris. I'm trying to explain it better and sorry no I don't want you to call!

Oh no, don't worry, the system just automatically suggests calls. There's no need.

What you're talking about is the clitoral hood. Don't worry about terminology! You're being perfectly clear.

Sometimes swelling can be from infection, in which case it won't get better with time, and may get worse. Other times it can be from irritation, in which case as long as it isn't irritated further, it should improve over time. If you're able to tolerate the pain, you can watch and wait for a day to see if it gets worse or better, and avoid an ER trip.

But if you have fever, if the swelling continues to increase or the pain worsens, that would suggest to me an infection rather than irritation and I would be seen in person to get antibiotics. Does that make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't feel a ball or anything hard. It hurts when it's touched. It feels swollen. There's 2 spots on the swollen part that are more sensitive and feel raised or different somehow.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does make sense

They could be the areas that were initially injured or irritated, or they could be the beginning of an abscess organizing. If the latter, they will get bigger and feel more firm and tight, and maybe look like a whitehead pimple.

In the meantime, I would take an ibuprofen, tylenol, or naproxen (whatever you have on hand), avoid wearing synthetic underwear or using any irritating soap or creams, and keep hydrated. If by Monday afternoon you don't feel better, or if the swelling is worse, I would consider an Urgent Care to have it looked at.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. So would Dial be the best soap to use then?
Then I know you can't really give me the answer I want. But I'm like a huge hypochondriac and what I have, I should be fine till I can go to the drs? Like in all reality I know this isn't a medical emergency because it wouldn't make any sense statistically, But I can't help but worry.

Hmm, I'd use something hypoallergenic, definitely without antibacterial ingredients, and ideally without perfumes. Basic bar soap often works as long as there's no antibiotic agents in it, because they are often irritating and don't work anyway.

If you're not having any fever, and the pain is tolerable, I think you are safe for now. But I want you to note how big the swelling is now (measure if you can) and see if it's worse in 12-24 hours, the same, or better. If worse, you need to be seen. If the same, wait another day to see if it improves. If better, keep an eye on it, but as long as it's improving, being seen isn't urgent.

The signs to look out for are fever, pain getting worse, rapid increases in swelling or in the size of the area affected, and bad-smelling drainage. If you see any of those things, you need to be seen ASAP. If not, giving your body a day to see if it can clear up the inflammation on its own is safe.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thank you.

You're welcome! I hope it goes away on its own. Be well.

Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer, Doctor