Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Cut the tip of my finger pretty badly tonight. All of the…

Cut the tip of...

Cut the tip of my finger pretty badly tonight. All of the urgent care facilities are closed. I now have it wrapped up and taped up and after an hour the bleeding seems to have slowed down a lot. But now it feels really numb. Wondering how I should know if I need to go get it taken care of tonight? Seems like I should be able to wait till tomorrow and go to my doctors office instead of the emergency room. Advice?

Doctor's Assistant: When did the numbness begin? Have you used any medication for it?

I just realized it was feeling numb. I’ve had it wrapped up for about 45 minutes. I did not put any medication on it.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides for this?

I don’t understand

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing. I’m very healthy

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you.

Are you able to send a picture of the finger? If you need stitches it is important to get them done within a few hours after the injury.

My husband is out of town. I am home alone. I didn’t take pictures before My friend wrapped it up. She is gone now I’m afraid unwrap it for fear I can’t wrap it up again. I’m also not sure how I would get to the doctor at this point in the evening

What did you use to cut it? A knife?

Did you cut it off completely or just made a cut in the finger?

Did it bleed a lot?

Sorry can't do a phone call right now.

I cut it with a very sharp knife. It bled a lot for at least an hour. I did not cut it off. And I did not hit bone. It’s a relatively deep cut but it’s like I cut the pad of my finger. I’m going to draw it on another finger and send it to you

Ok I will wait for the drawing.

I drew it on my ring finger it is sliced horizontally across the tip of my finger
Did you get the picture? One of my concerns now is that the entire end of my finger feels numb. Maybe I just bandaged too tight? I was so concerned about how much it was bleeding so we put a lot of pressure on it.

OK thanks. It is obviously a little hard to tell you if you need stitches without actually seeing the cut. However, whenever something bleeds a lot in this area and is relatively deep it usually requires stitches. If you have no other option than to wait until tomorrow to have a doctor look at it, that is probably OK. How much time since the cut will elapse until you can see a doctor?

Yes, the numbness is most likely from how tight it is.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Urgent care opens at 8 o’clock which is 10 hours from now and about 12 hours from when I cut it. Should I try to loosen the bandage?
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Consultant
Phone call session started

Yes, you can loosen the bandage a little. 12 hours is a good amount of time. Going to an ER is not an option tonight?

Here is a picture of my finger. I’ve rewrapped it now.

Thanks. Still a little hard to see how deep it is, but by the amount of bleeding, you probably do need stitches. If there is no way to go to an ER, you can probably wait until an urgent care opens in the morning. But you should be the first one there.

Ok thanks

My pleasure. Good luck.