Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I will try to make a complex question simple as possible.

I've been bedridden for two...
I will try to make a complex question simple as possible. I've been bedridden for two months now due to what started with a UTI and pyleonephritis. I don't think that ever resolved. I am still having flank pain, pain on voiding, and excessive urination. My last urine test showed many bacteria, RBC, mucus, hyaline casts, coarse granular casts, and WBC casts. I was on antibiotics at the time so 3 separate urine cultures were negative. CT showed normal; ultrasound showed a renal pole cyst. This was 3 weeks ago at 2 different ERs. A nephrologist referred me to a urologist which I am still waiting to see.Since then, I have developed anemia based on low hemoglobin, RBC, and hematocrit with high RDW(sd) and MCV. I have a history of idiopathic hemolytic anemia but it has been resolved for approx 5 years. I am waiting on a hematologist oncologist appointment in 2 days. However, upon sitting up my heart rate goes over 100 and pulse ox ranges 88-96. Standing, heart rate is 120 and pulse ox is 85-92. Walking, heart rate goes over 145 and pulse ox has gone down below 82 intermittently. Laying down, pulse is 85-95 and ox goes to 96 - so very normal but only laying down. In late February at the ER, I had a critical potassium level of 2.8 and heart rate of 151 with difficulty breathing but was not admitted.In the last three days I have developed vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. Urine volume is still excessive. I also have a history of diabetes insipidus and hyponatremia.I'm 33 and I have been bedridden except for trips to the bathroom. The symptoms are so uncomfortable and I want to determine if this is considered emergent by an ER as it doesn't seem to be in the last two trips, or if I should just bear with the symptoms until my appointment Tuesday.
3/19/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Let me at the outset tell you that you should go to ER for evaluation. The reasons are;

1) Your present symptoms of vomiting, nausea and diarrhea can cause electrolyte imbalance.

2) This imbalance can cause profound effect due to history of diabetes insipidus and hyponatremia.

3) You have anemia, which can further complicate the medical issue.

4) You are presently uncomfortable significantly.

5) You have recent history of low potassium.

6) Your other present manifestations too are considered significant, seen in conjunction with the above (flank pain, pain in voiding and excessive urination; which can be due to chronic pyelonephritis).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

What is the best way to present this information verbally so that isn't overwhelming yet gets the importance across? That seems to be the largest hurdle in getting this taken seriously as a healthy-looking 33 year old female without fever or continuous cardiac involvement when sitting/laying down.

The problem with emergency physician are that they would consider heart, lung and brain (heart attack, breathing issues and stroke) issues as life threatening and rest of the medical issue seems trivial to them. So they may need to be communicated that your pain is severe and just analgesic would be temporary. Unless root cause is detected, any treatment would be only transient relief.

Also you need to convey that since you are unable to consume adequate fluid due to vomiting; with your history, there is a possibility of life threatening electrolyte imbalance.

I think, these would convey the point.

It is privilege assisting you.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Thank you for your insight!

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.